1st Timer Interior Concrete Floor Paint/Stain/Epoxy

Old 07-13-16, 07:01 AM
1st Timer Interior Concrete Floor Paint/Stain/Epoxy

Hi all - our 3rd bedroom is on the ground level of our townhome. I want to turn this bedroom into a gear storage room because my wife and I spend a ton of time hiking, biking, and skiing and our garage is tiny. it's the first room you see when entering the house, so despite that it's a storage room we want to make it somewhat "cool" looking with the bikes nicely hung and good looking shelving with clean bins etc. So i'm looking for a nice looking solution as well despite the fact that it's a gear room.

Here's a link to useful photos: https://goo.gl/photos/WFTZy3q4aXuE6WQ18

I had a vision of a really nice stained concrete floor but staining appears to be less likely due to the condition of the floor (unless someone can tell me otherwise). I am open to a floating laminate or vinyl floor as a backup option. I know the key to painting/staining concrete is surface prep. So I pulled up the carpet to see what we are dealing with. Turns out there's plenty of carpet glue and tack strip popouts and there's a big crack parallel to the sliding glass door. There is also a white border of paint overspray from when they originally painted the walls.

I posted this some of this in the masonry forum and got a couple of helpful replies but wanted to post here for additional advice - a few people have suggested that just keeping it simple and doing a garage floor epoxy or painting with enamel should do the trick, but I do want it to look pretty nice.

Ok so here are my questions:

0. What would you suggest as a nice looking coating/finish for this floor?
1. Do I need to completely remove the paint overspray and other blemishes if I paint the floor with enamel or epoxy? Or can I just prime it?
2. Is it possible to paint or stain if I add a microtopping to hide the blemishes (after filling the holes)?
3 .That huge long crack along the sliding glass door - does it need to be filled?

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-13-16, 07:06 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
As long as the paint is well adhered to the floor it doesn't need to be removed for most floor enamels.
Blemishes in the concrete will still be there after painting although they might not be as noticeable.
Same thing for cracks - they'll look better if filled.

I don't know much about concrete overlays but suspect that would be the best way to go if you want an acid stain finish.