Selecting correct stain and sealer for oak hardwood floor

Old 07-24-16, 08:33 AM
Selecting correct stain and sealer for oak hardwood floor

I'm going to sand down some oak floors (Name:  IMG_3971.jpg
Views: 250
Size:  37.5 KB) and stain them with a darker color. I'm struggling with finding the correct products and process to do this. (I already have a plan for sanding)

I have two 50lb dogs so I want the most durable end result that I can get in hopes their claws can't scratch anything when i'm done.

According to Sherwin williams website they recommend:
Name:  Screenshot 2016-07-24 at 11.25.08 AM.png
Views: 192
Size:  16.6 KB
Planning - Sherwin-Williams

While SW recommends oil based it seems everyone else recommends water based.

Bottom line is i'm confused on what process to take here. Oil based stain vs water based. Use a varnish or dont use a varnish. Some sort of polyurethane protection? Thanks.

It would be great if someone could post the exact products they used (maybe even links too) and the process they took. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-24-16, 09:36 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
IMO water based stains are too difficult to work with, I prefer oil base stains. Oil base poly dries to a harder film [tougher wearing] than water based poly. Water based is preferred by some because it dries quicker and has less odor. A urethane finish is a little harder than most polys. Poly is tougher than varnish.

Generally it's best to have 3 coats of finish. You'd sand lightly and remove the dust between coats.

Old 07-24-16, 01:24 PM
Group Moderator
Three coats of oil based polyurethane would be what I would do.

Old 07-24-16, 05:38 PM
The advantage of water based poly is that it is crystal clear and doesn't yellow with age, and it dries quickly so it is less likely to get dust nibs stuck in the finish while drying.

Oil based poly is tougher, but it has a slight amber cast and will darken/yellow a bit with age. It smells and takes a long time to dry so it tends to get some dust nibs. They are dealt with by light sanding between coats and by minimizing dust in the air during drying by cleaning very well ahead of time and keeping the area closed off with minimal air movement while it cures.

Catalyzed conversion varnish and moisture cured polyurethane are two more options that must be professionally applied. They are even tougher than oil based poly, but are expensive and difficult to apply. If you are going to have the finish applied professionally you may wish to ask about these options as well.