Pool table on floating laminate flooring?

Old 08-12-16, 10:31 AM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Pool table on floating laminate flooring?

I found an old thread regarding this topic and was prompted to ask a new question due to thread age.

Basically, will a floating laminate wood floor withstand the weight of a pool table?

What I read in the previous thread was yes - but don't put anything heavy on the other side of the room because the floor may buckle between these two heavy object because it can't expand and contract properly. Perfect, makes sense.

My question is this: What about the wood planks between the legs of the pool table itself? My pool table is roughly 1000 lbs. Regardless of layout, 500 lbs will be sitting on one length of flooring, and the other 500 lbs will be sitting on the other length of flooring. Between these will be multiple lengths of flooring with no weight on them at all.

Wouldn't these planks buckle with expansion?

I'm sure there must be people out there with pool tables sitting on floating laminate.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 08-12-16, 10:41 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

You should not put anything heavy on laminate since it needs to move/expand and contract. How much room is needed is based on how much floor exists - typically, the amount of flooring between the legs of the table is quite a bit less than outside of them so the problems will more often occur outside of them.

Old 08-12-16, 04:07 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I wouldn't be concerned with the weight of the table, I would be concerned with the quality of your floor and installation.
Usually pianos and pool tables are installed over laminate using pads (soft or hard) to help distribute the weight only a tiny bit.
The items are heavy but not bolted down, which is what you want to avoid.
To me the problem is not if the floor will be allowed to expand and contract, it's if the joints can handle a concentrated load.
If the floor is quality and installed on a flat surface, it should be able to handle the weight.

Old 08-12-16, 06:43 PM
Received 230 Votes on 205 Posts
Have to agree with Brian on this completely.

Think of a refrigerator fully loaded or a freezer. Lot of weight concentrated on only a few tiles. Never heard of a problem. Even on the cheaper tiles. Using pads or Sliders is a good idea though. As stated if the locking mechanism is engineered properly the floor as a whole should be able to "float" due to temp and/or humidity changes regardless of the total weight.