Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Flooring, Floor Coverings and Coatings Center > Solid Hardwood, Engineered and Laminate Flooring
Reload this Page >

Laying 3/4 strip floor over two layers vinyl flooring and 1/4 laun underlayment??

Laying 3/4 strip floor over two layers vinyl flooring and 1/4 laun underlayment??

Old 04-21-01, 01:58 PM
Visiting Guest
I am trying to figure out if I need to remove the two layers of vinyl flooring and two 1/4 laun underlayments before installing 3/4" strip oak flooring? All of the advice books seem to dodge the question.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-21-01, 11:24 PM
Visiting Guest
I would remove it all.

Jim
JMFloors

Old 04-22-01, 03:26 PM
Visiting Guest
Reply to Jm Floors

Thanks for the reply! I think it is better to error on the side of caution and take it all up.

Old 05-02-01, 02:40 PM
Visiting Guest
Lay Hardwood over vinyl

We are also deciding on removing our vinyl before having a hardwood floor laid. We have had 2 different professionals give us 2 different answers. One said to remove the vinyl & the subfloor b/c it is partical board, then lay fresh plywood down. The reason is that the vinyl could trap moisture. The other said that you could lay a solid wood floor over the vinyl.

Who is correct? We live in the midwest so moisture is not a huge problem. I realize, Jim, you say to remove they vinyl, but do you really have to & why?
Thank You,
Tania

Old 05-03-01, 02:24 AM
Visiting Guest
Hi Tania,

I will try to answer your questions until Jim gets back to you. The 1st installer gave you the correct advice even though his or her reasoning is a bit flawed.
If you are installing a true solid wood floor the particle board underlayment is the problem in your home. Particle board is not a suitable underlayment for solid wood flooring. Pull it up and install 3/4" plywood. Use the "underlayment" grade w/ ext. glue instead of the cheaper CDX grade. Then lay down 15lb felt as a moisture barrier.

In response to the issue on vinyl flooring. I always take it up because I want to see every sq.inch of the underlayment before I proceed. I have found in many cases hidden evidence of water or moisture damage, mainly adjacent to dishwashers,ice maker lines,sink fronts,ect.
I then repair it and go on.

I hope this helped some.

Jerry