Old hardwood floors peaking/buckling

Old 10-02-16, 06:09 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Old hardwood floors peaking/buckling

My house was probably built in the 50's and the hardwood floors are probablu original. The house sits off the ground and has a new central unit. Well, after all of these years the floors have started peaking/buckling. I am going to lay down some laminate planks, but I need to find out why this is happening first. Any ideas what might be causing this?

Old 10-02-16, 06:14 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Welcome to the forums! You may want to post pictures of the flooring so we would be able to see what you see. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...your-post.html

Has the house always had central heat and air, or is it totally new to the structure? Is it over a crawl space or on stilts? Is it a shotgun?

If the problem is corrected, can you have the hardwood refinished or are you dead set on installing laminate? I am not a fan of it, but it would be your decision.

Old 10-02-16, 08:31 PM
J
Received 128 Upvotes on 113 Posts
Off the ground tells us nothing, crawlspace, basement?
If it's a crawl space is there a vapor barrier on the ground under it?
If this house really has real hardwood floors and they were installed that long ago and have never buckled until now something drastic would have had to have changed.
I would have thought that adding HVAC would have dried the place out and caused gaps not buckels.
Think you have issues now wait until you try and use laminate.
Look though the houses for sale, everr once seen an ad stating "laminate floors thought out"? Not likely.
But I bet you've seen a bunch saying hardwood flooring though out.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: