Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Flooring, Floor Coverings and Coatings Center > Solid Hardwood, Engineered and Laminate Flooring
Reload this Page >

Opinions on the best type of stain for a water-resistant hardwood kitchen floor?

Opinions on the best type of stain for a water-resistant hardwood kitchen floor?

Old 10-12-16, 02:57 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

I am refinishing an old house that has some pretty beat up hardwood floors. The current floor color is a medium brown, and I would like to eventually stain it a very dark color, very close to black. There is wood flooring in the kitchen area that flows into all the other rooms.

Is there a type and brand of stain that is water-resistant and good for a kitchen floor? Also, what other types of chemicals (i.e., before staining or after staining) do I need to put on the floor besides the stain color? What is a good place to buy the materials to do this?

Old 10-12-16, 03:30 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,905 Upvotes on 1,711 Posts
The stain is not what's durable and water resistant. It's the finish that you apply over the stain. Usually polyurethane is used because of its durability. But no wood floor is going to be 100% water resistant due to all the joints between planks. Obviously if you spill a gallon of milk on the floor, its going to find its way through a few cracks... especially on an old floor.

Old 10-12-16, 05:43 PM
J
Received 128 Upvotes on 113 Posts
And a dark floor is going to show every speck of dirt and even dust.
Trust me on this it's going to come out faster and come out better to hire this one out if your going to refinish.
By the time you spend the time to go rent the equipment, work through the learning curve on how to run it, pay for the sanding pads, buy the pads to apply the stain, cost of the stain and sealer.
They could have been done and gone days ago.

Old 10-13-16, 04:29 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 832 Upvotes on 729 Posts
IMO sanding the floors is the hardest part of refinishing a hardwood floor. As stated above the stain has little to do with sealing the floor as that is the job of the polyurethane. While a good stain can be bought most anywhere the better floor polys will be found at a wood flooring store.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: