RamSet for subfloor to concrete?

Old 11-04-16, 07:07 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
RamSet for subfloor to concrete?

Im repairing an old wood subfloor that is not level with the other areas of our house. The subfloor is on 2x4s over concrete. I plan on putting new 3/4 plywood down over the 2x4s but i have a feeling a lot of the 2x4s will need to be replaced. Ive used Tapcons in the past but really like the idea of using the RamSet to nail them down to save time.

Anyone tried this? Pros/Cons? Should i also use adhesive? What size nail should I use? Do i need to let the 2x4s or plywood acclimate before i install? It would be Concrete-2X4s-3/4 plywood-Floating engineered wood floor. This is a kitchen so it's a small area.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-05-16, 04:40 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 619 Votes on 572 Posts
Powder driven nailing is quick and easy. A gun type is easier to use but the linear type you hit with a hammer is cheaper. I generally put the wood down with construction adhesive in addition to the nails.

Yes, I would let the wood dry out. You will need pressure treated for contact with the concrete and some treated lumber can be extremely wet when new and will shrink when it dries.

Old 11-05-16, 05:05 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
The only problem I see in either instance is the vapor barrier that you will need between the concrete and the wood. You don't want to drive a kazillion holes in your vapor barrier, nor will the construction adhesive hold to the plastic. Are the 2x4's flat or standing on edge? Being in Florida is a little different than basements we incur further north. Using pressure treated lumber, properly cured, without the barrier, using construction adhesive would probably be your best bet. Look into Fuze It made by Liquid Nails. It is fast and quite permanent.

Old 11-05-16, 05:15 AM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
2x4s will be flat to avoid losing height and to match the rest of the house. The house was built in 1953 I think they used some kind of black adhesive to set the other 2x4s