Rugs for hardwood floors!??!?

Old 11-09-16, 09:13 AM
Rugs for hardwood floors!??!?

Ok I'm at my wit's end! I had my oak hardwood floors refinished about 2 months ago and planned on using a couple of rugs - one decorative and one utilitarian - on the wood. The guys who did the refinishing told me to never use a rug with any kind of rubber on the bottom (which is like 80% of the rugs on the market)! The only other ones available are either just hemmed carpet (so the scratchy carpet bottom is on the wood floor) or they're made of jute or something which will also scratch!! Where on God's green Earth do I find a rug to put on hardwood floors!? I at least want something at the front door to step on with muddy/snowy shoes!! I've seen 'rug pads' which go under rugs? Can I just get any type of rug I want and put a rug pad under it!?!? Please help! Thank you!

AND if I DO just use a rug pad, how do I keep the rug from sliding all over the place!?!?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-09-16, 09:22 AM
AND if I DO just use a rug pad, how do I keep the rug from sliding all over the place!?!?

Old 11-09-16, 10:56 AM
Group Moderator
I have numerous rugs on my hardwood floors. I think all are Oriental/Persian which are all natural (jute, wool...) so there is nothing to break down like a rubber backing. They stay in place pretty well just because of their size and weight though I suppose a small one could scoot around.

One thing to note is that your wood may turn a different color underneath a rug. I think it's the wood reacting to light. If you remove the rug you may see a dark or light spot in the wood where the rug was. Usually this discoloration will disappear over time as the wood is exposed to light again but it can take a month or two. I know I freaked out the first time I saw it happen but after a few months it fades so you can't tell there was ever a rug there.

Old 11-09-16, 11:10 AM
And the jute doesn't scratch the nice wood floor!? The jute rugs I've seen have been so freaking rough to the touch! Wool or cotton I would think would be okay, but they are seriously ALL HIDEOUS!! > This is getting so ridiculous!

Old 11-09-16, 12:24 PM
Unless it's something to do with the refinish we've had, for 30+ years, hardwood floors and always used those rubbery grippy mesh non slip pads and have never seen any issue!

Personally I would never have a rug on a hardwood or tile floor without them, one wrong step and you could be down for the count!

Old 11-10-16, 02:57 AM
I know! How can anybody NOT have rugs!?!? And how on Earth can anyone use rugs WITHOUT rubber backing!? It's crazy! And of course, they tell me this AFTER the refinishing is done and I've paid!

What they told me was that the rubber can't "breathe" and so humidity/moisture collects under it and the boards under the rug will swell and buckle and change color! I mean, I live in OHIO not the Amazon Rainforest! How much humidity do they think there is in my house!?

Still curious if jute scratches - I can't imagine that it does NOT - it feels so rough on my hands!

Thanks all for the input - keep it coming!

Old 11-10-16, 03:02 AM
Just found this - it says to use VINYL non-slip protectors!! Didn't even know there was such a thing! Will see what I can find later . . .

https://log-homes.thefuntimesguide.c...r_pine_floors/

But here's a page that says "natural" rubber backing is what you want and that vinyl is bad!!! AARRGGG!!! What the %&*??? Why is this so difficult!?

https://www.rugpadusa.com/blogs/faq/...-safer-rug-pad

Last edited by FixrUppr; 11-10-16 at 03:18 AM.
Old 11-11-16, 03:11 AM
We had our oak floors refinished 10 years ago and have always used rubber pads under our carpets. No problems. We have had color changes as Pilot described. Just my experience- Steve

Old 11-11-16, 10:02 AM
I know! How can anybody NOT have rugs!?!?
I don't have any rugs. I DO sometimes use a bath mat or less-than-clean towel on the bathroom tile floor.

When I moved into my house it had wall-to-wall carpet everywhere except the bathrooms, the kitchen, the dining area and the front entrance; all of which had site-finished oak flooring. Within a year I had removed the carpeting in the living room and hall and had it replaced with high-end laminate. My back "project" room is just the plywood sub-floor right now but the plan is to install engineered hardwood. When I do that I will most likely continue the hardwood into the bedroom as well.

After I had the laminate installed I had several people suggest that I then needed a large area rug. I asked them why should I spend all that money for wooden floors (wood looking) and then cover it with rugs? If I had wanted carpet I would have simply had the original carpeting replaced.

Old 11-11-16, 02:38 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I have hardwood floors and I would recommend the 2nd link you posted, here it is again:

https://www.rugpadusa.com/products/super-lock-natural

A side note: If I recommended against using rubber on a floor, it would be because the rubber might interact chemically with the floor finish (poly) and permanently etch the surface. It wouldn't be because the floor might buckle or anything else.
This is the same reason you shouldn't use plastic placemats on a fine dining table, you could ruin the finish.
The product you linked to is safe for all floor finishes.

Old 11-17-16, 03:51 AM
Awesome! Okay I'm getting a natural rubber rug mat then! Thanks, all!!!

Old 11-17-16, 04:28 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
One thing to remember is not to put rugs on hardwood floors where the sun beats down on it. If your glass doesn't have Low-E 266 or higher UV protective coating, the sun will slightly fade the hardwood, EXCEPT where the rug is, and when you move the rug, you will be able to discern a difference.