Removing pet urine stains from hardwood

Old 01-08-17, 06:49 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

Hello all,

This topic has been addressed on many threads and other websites, but I'm not able to get their recommendations to work. I have a hard wood flood with polyurethane over it that has dog urine stains (pic below). I have tried the commercial products and hydrogen peroxide, but I have no luck in reducing the darkness of these stains. Is it time to sand off the poly and then use hydrogen peroxide? It looks like pet urine penetrates poly with no problem, but hydrogen peroxide just sits on top. Striping/sanding is the direction I am leaning, but I want to exhaust any options that avoid striping the poly. Thanks for any advice you can offer.

Jason

PS. Sorry for glare of flash on pics.

Name:  20170107_194337.jpg
Views: 1617
Size:  18.5 KBName:  20170107_194347.jpg
Views: 1757
Size:  23.2 KB

Old 01-08-17, 07:22 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Those two spots seem too symmetrical to be urine stains. It looks to be feeding or watering bowl stains. Grreat Choice® Double Dog Feeder | dog Food & Water Bowls | PetSmart Short answer is to remove the poly and treat with the peroxide. There is still no guarantee that they will come out, but they will be reduced to where they may not be as obvious.

Old 01-08-17, 09:45 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,262 Upvotes on 1,203 Posts
If peroxide works, great. That said, it seems a little weak for something like this to me, I would have thought of something like oxalic acid.

Old 01-08-17, 12:09 PM
J
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

Chandler,

Yes, these are very symmetrical stains. My wife had a couple of large vases sitting here, the dog urinated on them, and we didn't find it immediately so they stains occurred in the shape of the vases... definitely urine. I think your advice is good... I'll sand off poly and try the peroxide treatment. I was hoping to treat it without sanding, but looks like sanding is unavoidable.

Thanks man,

Jason

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: