Nails in a floating floor?

Old 04-07-17, 08:02 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Nails in a floating floor?

Hi, I have a floating floor that really sinks in certain spots when stepped on. Due to concrete below being uneven. I wonder, could I put a few nails in to stop the rise/sinking of these boards? My concern is I live in canada so humidity changes through the year, worry that expanding/shrinking would cause gaps if boards are nailed in. Thanks

Old 04-07-17, 08:58 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,180 Upvotes on 1,950 Posts
Well, you said you have concrete underneath so nails aren't much an option. Imagine a big ugly masonry nail in the middle of your floor. And, floating floors are specifically designed to NOT be nailed. Part of the installation process is to makes sure the floor is level enough because the floating floor cannot accommodate dips.

Old 04-07-17, 09:21 AM
C
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Well the hardwood is not directly on the concrete - there is 1/2" - 1" underaying wood that can be nailed into.

Maybe that might be useless since both layers would still rise/fall together?

Old 04-07-17, 02:15 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Is this the same problem as in http://www.doityourself.com/forum/so...ng-floor.html? Try to keep the problems together if you can. It helps us not to have to jump from one thread to another.

I would not use nails on a floating floor. Mainly because it is a floating floor and you would stop that float with nails.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: