Filling gaps in floating floor.

Old 04-07-17, 11:06 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Filling gaps in floating floor.

Hi guys,

Any advice for filling gaps in a floating hardwood floor? Gaps from about 1/16" to as large as 1/4". (0.5cm to 1.5cm).

I live in Canada where humidity changes throughout the year.

My plan is to fill with wood filler and then stain it. It's approximately average yearly humidity currently.

Any advice? Any concerns of this causing problems of floating floors shrinks/expands further?

Thanks

Old 04-07-17, 12:04 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,110 Upvotes on 1,889 Posts
Where are these gaps? A picture would help.

Every climate on the planet experiences varying temperature and humidity so that's nothing special. Floating floors are designed to expand and contract as part of their floating design. It's the reason for the 1/4-1/2" gap recommended around the edges of the room. The entire floor moves and the gap around the perimeter opens and closes but it's concealed by the base molding so it's not visible.

The only time I've seen cracks or gaps open in the middle of the room is when it was installed wrong. If some of the perimeter was nailed, glued or pinched by the baseboard so it can't move then shrinkage can pull the butt joints apart. I've also seen people screw up the installation and cut off the interlocking tabs on the butt joint which can allow the sections to move apart.

Old 04-07-17, 01:17 PM
C
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I'll upload a pic when I'm home and can take a photo.

The gaps are in 2 main areas. (3 actually if you count the gap at the perimeter mostly concealed by the base moulding).

1 is in the middle of a doorway, I believe due to improper installation. The wall separating the rooms has caused the floors in the 2 rooms to move separately, exposing a gap right in the doorway.

The other, also due to poor installation is in an area where there is some sag in the floor. The boards have opened up diagonal type gaps away from the sag.

Old 04-07-17, 02:54 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Unless you are without climate control (air conditioning or heat), the outside humidity is not that much of an influence on flooring. Now, if the flooring was not acclimated to your interior humidity and temperature prior to installation, yeah, you can have problems. Installing floating floors on an unstable substrate can cause problems with cracks.

Let's wait on pictures so we can see what you see.http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...your-post.html

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: