Varathane oil-based polyurethane alternative

Old 05-01-17, 04:05 PM
Varathane oil-based polyurethane alternative

I just found out that California has banned the Verathane oil-based polyurethane that I was planning to use on the plywood floor in my shed. Does anyone know of a Calif legal product that's as durable and long lasting as the oil-based polyurethane and gives the flooring an "amber tint"?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-01-17, 07:55 PM
Group Moderator
Short answer is no. Oil based products are sometimes superior and I believe polyurethane is one of them but you can't get them in CA.

Old 05-02-17, 03:57 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I'd suggest going to your local paint store [not paint dept] and discussing it with them. I have no idea what is available [or not] in California. With hardwood if you want the amber look without using an oil base poly you need to apply a light stain first.

Personally while I'd want the shed floor to have some protection I wouldn't be overly concerned with the look.

Old 05-29-17, 12:33 PM
Update: I ended up using a light stain followed by four coats of water-based polyurethane (Varathane brand). After almost a month of fairly heavy use it seems to be holding up well and I'm happy with the appearance.