Filling gaps in plywood floor.

Old 05-08-17, 09:54 AM
Filling gaps in plywood floor.

I'm planning to apply stain and a water-based polyurethane to a plywood floor and was wondering if it's a good idea to fill in the 1/8" gaps between the pieces of plywood. My concerns are that dirt and dust will accumulate in the gaps if left unfilled.

I've read that caulking the gaps is one option. Is this true, and if so, what type of caulk is recommended and should it be applied before or after applying the polyurethane?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-08-17, 09:59 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
IMO that isn't a great plan but a clear latex caulk would be about as good as anything for the joints [filler might not stay put] It would be best to caulk between the 1st and 2nd coat of poly.

Old 05-08-17, 11:01 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Why are you putting on the poly? Plywood does not make a good floor. The top layer will wear through too fast.

Old 05-08-17, 01:25 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I'll have to agree that plywood is not a good final flooring material. Is this planned, or are you at a stopping place on a remodel until you can install a good final floor?

Old 05-10-17, 10:27 AM
My initial plan was not to worry about the floor's appearance. However, after putting a lot of time and effort into building the shed, which has several custom features (i.e., vintage french doors; a 4-pane side door; custom exterior window trim and a small doghouse dormer), finishing the floor seemed like it would be a nice final touch.

I am planning to use the shed as a workshop at some point in the future after I've had time to sort through and get rid of most of the stuff that's going to be stored in the shed. When that day comes I will most likely be installing a hardwood floor.

Old 05-10-17, 10:57 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I'd forget the stain and just apply 1 coat of poly. That will protect the floor and IMO be good enough until you reach the next stage of construction.