T-moulding solid wood and on slightly uneven transition.

Old 05-17-17, 01:48 PM
T-moulding solid wood and on slightly uneven transition.

Hi guys,

I have a pergo engineered wood flooring installed with the floating method.

Ive tried using the laminate style T moulding kit on the transition from engineered floor to kitchen tile which had an even height but it ended up popping out (glue couldnt hold on to the metal rail) so im thinking of using a solid wood this time.

Ive read on the forum that on a "solid" wood flooring to tile transition, you only glue the tile end of the T-moulding and not glue the wood flooring so the wood flooring can expand, I am planning on doing that to transition to the kitchen tile, but what happens if the wood flooring is higher than the tile by 1/8"? Its too small of a height difference to use a reducer or the other transition strips.

The tile on the fire place is about 1/8" lower than the engineered wood.
Ive read somewhere that a slight difference doesnt affect the Tmoulding but it definitely will not be flush on the wood floor side. Do i glue a Popsicle stick on the tile side of the Tmoulding and glue that to the tile? I've also read i can shave the wood flooring side of the Tmoulding but I dont think i have the tools to shave a t moulding that accurately.

The subfloor is concrete btw.

Thanks guys

Sponsored Links
Old 05-17-17, 05:07 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I use a product called Chemrex, it is available in carpet supply stores, and online. (name may have changed but I can't remember)

Chemrex - Adhesives

It is used to glue carpet tack strips to concrete and works great on t moldings. Use it on the concrete and set the Leg part of the t molding into it. Don't let it impede the expansion needs of the engineered flooring. You dispense from the tube, mist it will water to activate, set your molding, put a weight on the molding for 2 hours and you are done. Go0d luck.

Edit, you will need a crow bar to remove the molding after this stuff sets up.

Old 05-17-17, 09:33 PM
Great I'll order it now.

So do I go with the laminate t-moulding kit?

The solid wood t moulding's bottom part barely reaches the concrete subfloor.

Thanks!

Old 05-18-17, 01:26 AM
only glue the tile end of the T-moulding
You need to use a transition T with the metal channel which is screwed to the floor and the T snaps in.

Name:  Capture.jpg
Views: 290
Size:  26.9 KB

Old 05-18-17, 02:38 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
He has already tried to use the metal rail kits with the laminate t molding. He is trying to do plan B.

Old 05-18-17, 04:07 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Great I'll order it now.

So do I go with the laminate t-moulding kit?

The solid wood t moulding's bottom part barely reaches the concrete subfloor.

Thanks!
You don't need full contact the subfloor with Chemrex you just need contact between the cement and the molding. It is very thick, sets up very hard, and holds very well. Thick dabs is all you need.

Old 05-21-17, 10:43 AM
Thanks for the helpful reply czizzi I got the chemrex coming but I still need to figure out the small level difference at the fireplace.
Which should I go with and do I just put a dollop right in the middle space for all methods? Also this transition will have the 2 45 degree turns.

Name:  IMG_4352.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  36.3 KBName:  IMG_4351.jpg
Views: 213
Size:  35.3 KBName:  IMG_4350.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  38.4 KB

Old 05-21-17, 11:18 AM
Cut the tar paper back and go with door #3 since it will allow your flooring to expand and contract under the lip. Yes, just a few dollops along the run, at the corners and along the sides should do it.

Old 05-21-17, 11:42 AM
Thanks for the quick reply chandler!

Just to be extra sure, door #3 has a considerable gap between the concrete subfloor and the bottom of the threshold, do i just dollop enough to fill that gap i guess and the adhesive will fill the gap?

Old 05-21-17, 11:47 AM
Yes, use enough to touch the two surfaces and allow a little squish. It will hold steadfastly (is that a word?)

Old 05-21-17, 12:39 PM
ok great, makes perfect sense lol.