Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Flooring, Floor Coverings and Coatings Center > Solid Hardwood, Engineered and Laminate Flooring
Reload this Page >

I had a plumbing leak under my oak flooring, it curled, and I need some advice.

Old 05-23-17, 07:28 PM

I repaired the leak, but not before my oak floor boards cupped and curled from water getting under them. These are oak floors from the 1960's, if that matters. Anyhow, I removed the entire section in the hallway where the water had collected the worst and 3 boards from the center of each effected room (3 bedrooms) to help dry it out. It's been several months since the leak with me running a dehumidifier and the central AC regularly and the boards are still cupped some but everything looks dry as a bone. I planned on sanding and refinishing them pretty soon. So, I think I need to test the moisture content in the floorboards before I proceed with refinishing. Thats my main concern. I dont know what kind of moisture meter to get, nor what moisture content reading is good or bad.

Anybody have any advice? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-24-17, 02:02 AM
I picked up an inexpensive meter on eBay for $20.

You can compare the readings to other wood around the house, the sub floor, non damaged wood, etc.

The moisture will vary depending on the conditions so it's not an absolute value just a comparison.

Old 05-24-17, 05:05 AM
Group Moderator
If you are planning on refinishing anyhow you could also look at new planks to replaced the damaged ones. Another option is to pull up planks from a closet and put them in the more visible damaged location and use the warped ones to patch the closet.