1st time installer - Need advice installing 5" wide hardwood planks

Old 06-02-17, 01:21 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
1st time installer - Need advice installing 5" wide hardwood planks

so i'm taking my first shot at installing hardwood floor at my house, and looking for any tips or advice. i've been watching a bunch of youtube videos as well as browsing alot of threads on installing. i'm installing the following wood:

Bruce American Vintage Wolf Run Oak 3/4 in. T x 5 in. W x Random Length Solid Scraped Hardwood Flooring (23.5 sq. ft./case)-SAMV5WR - The Home Depot

following the manufacturers instructions i'll need to nail and glue the planks down since they are 5" wide. my current subfloor is the following:
Name:  SubFloor.jpg
Views: 264
Size:  50.7 KB
Name:  Subfloor2.jpg
Views: 227
Size:  50.8 KB
Name:  SubFloor1.jpg
Views: 268
Size:  49.7 KB

underneath the pine subfloor, the joist are run 12" on center from each other. My question is if i'm to nail and glue the planks to my subfloor, should i still use a vapor barrier? if so how would this be achieved? any help or advice would be great as i will be installing soon and just acclimating the wood.

also would i gain from placing plywood on top of the existing pine subfloor?

Last edited by Spunky424; 06-02-17 at 01:39 PM.
Old 06-02-17, 01:51 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 7 Votes on 6 Posts
First, you will need a 1/2" overlayer of plywood on top of your planks. No glue, and screw it to your planks avoiding the joists on purpose. THEN you can lay your flooring using 15# felt as an underlayment.

Old 06-02-17, 02:10 PM
S
First, you will need a 1/2" overlayer of plywood on top of your planks. No glue, and screw it to your planks avoiding the joists on purpose. THEN you can lay your flooring using 15# felt as an underlayment.
i was thinking of lying plywood down then using the glue and nail method. is the glue really not required? per the manufacturers instructions anything over 4" wide requires glue. i'm located in NY where the summers can get pretty humid and i do not have central AC.

Old 06-02-17, 03:14 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 7 Votes on 6 Posts
I was speaking of the plywood subflooring. Don't glue it down and don't screw it into the joists. Yes, if the manufacturer suggests gluing and stapling/cleating the flooring down, you should do that. Be sure to leave a 1/4 to 1/2" gap all around the perimeter of the rooms for that expansion.

Old 06-02-17, 03:18 PM
J
I believe Chandler was referring to the plywood when he said 'no glue, just screw it' to the existing subfloor planks. Another moisture retarder to consider between the plywood and new hardwood flooring is Aquabar B. HD carries it. It has a layer of asphalt between kraft paper faces. It's clean and nice to work with.
Follow all the manufacturer's directions. Hardwood flooring is happiest if the house humidity is kept within an optimal range year round.....if you don't have central a/c or another means of dehumidification during the humid summer you could have problems. Wider hardwood flooring boards are subject to more expansion and contraction than narrower boards.....3" is the standard cutoff point. You said you are acclimating the hardwood.....use a moisture meter to check the hardwood and subfloors to make sure the moisture content of all are at the proper levels. Hardwood is best installed when it is at the annual average moisture content for your geographical location.

Old 06-02-17, 03:33 PM
S
That makes way more sense! also, after the plywood is down. should i still use some sort of vapor barrier? is that doable with the glue and nail method? what kind of glue do you recommend? also would this plywood be the correct one to use?

15/32 in. x 4 ft. x 8 ft. 3-Ply RTD Sheathing-166073 - The Home Depot

i appreciate the help and clarification!

You said you are acclimating the hardwood.....use a moisture meter to check the hardwood and subfloors to make sure the moisture content of all are at the proper levels. Hardwood is best installed when it is at the annual average moisture content for your geographical location.
could you recommend a moisture meter? probably one of the few tools i dont have in my arsenal. Thanks!

Old 06-02-17, 04:18 PM
Received 15 Votes on 13 Posts
It actually is a minimum 5/8" plywood for nail down. This is for holding power of the cleats or staples.

Here is a one stop everything you need to know about installing Hardwood flooring - http://tinytimbers.com/pdf/nwfa-install-guidelines.pdf

Old 06-02-17, 04:32 PM
J
Can't use a felt or paper moisture retarder........check out Bostik MVP urethane moisture barrier....you would trowel it on the sub floor and glue to that.
Pin type moisture will be more accurate than a surface meter.

Old 06-02-17, 05:06 PM
J
You'd be better off using a tongue and groove plywood.

Old 06-04-17, 03:30 PM
S
Just added 1/2" plywood on top of the existing subfloor after securing and nailing down any loose planks. The floor feels a whole lot sturdier with less flex. Thanks for the advice!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: