Pergo install. sub-floor prep questions.

Old 07-05-17, 04:12 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Pergo install. sub-floor prep questions.

hey fellas. first time poster (long time user of this awesome forum), and first time home owner. recently closed on our home and couldnt be happier with it. the place has some outdated carpets so i set out to get rid of them and install pergo. the sub floors are in great shape in a majority of the installation area. no major hills or valleys (all under 1/8" over 8'), however, the previous owner had a dog that apparently liked to piss in 2 or 3 spots ALOT. These spots are now beginning to dry rot (particle board sub floor). so i have two questions im hoping you can help me with. 1) can i just sands these dry rotted spots out to solid floor and fill them with sub-floor leveling compound, maybe cut out the bad floor and install new in those places? what are your suggestions (besides ripping up the whole sub floor lol)? 2) any ideas on how to get rid of the smell its killing me!

Old 07-05-17, 05:31 PM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I would cut out the section. The fact that it smells so much suggests that it was a cat not a dog.

Old 07-05-17, 07:26 PM
R
i think i will cut the dry rot out to joyce and replace it. if i cant do that ill replace the entire sheet. The previous owner of the house did not have cats. She had a small dog. I have been in contact with her.

Old 07-06-17, 03:55 AM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
The previous owner of the house did not have cats
You don't know how lucky you are.

Old 07-06-17, 04:07 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Once particleboard gets wet, there is little you can do to save it. If the stain and odor goes all the way down to the subfloor, you may want to over the area with a coat of poly to try to seal it in before replacing the underlayment. Most likely, there is a layer of tar paper sandwiched between the two layers that will protect the subfloor.

Old 07-06-17, 03:03 PM
R
i plan on sealing the subfloor with binz primer then replacing the particle board with ply wood. After that, im going to seal the entire floor with more binz to lock out the smell. ONE MORE QUESTION (lol)! the particle board that im removing is a true 1/2''. all i can find is 15/32 plywood to replace what i am removing. will this 1/32" transition be acceptable (installing pergo floating floor)?

Old 07-06-17, 05:52 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Particleboard is usually 5/8" or 3/4" thick. What you don't want is a lot of bounce or flex with laminate as that tends to cause failure at the click lock. Double check your measurements on the particleboard to make sure you are accurate.

Old 07-12-17, 05:09 AM
R
jobs done. The particle board was 1/2". I used 15/32 plywood with a double layer of felt underneath and it came out damn near perfectly flush (maybe 1/64th out). Thanks for the input fellas. Now onto the flooring!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: