Fixing a couple bad boards, quick vapor barrier question

Old 09-21-17, 04:19 PM
Fixing a couple bad boards, quick vapor barrier question

My toilet's wax ring failed and a couple boards behind the drain were rotting. I pulled the 2 boards and everything looks good to put down 2 replacements. The vapor barrier however got nicked by the chisel, wood and the cleats that were in the old boards. Is there anything I can put down over the nicks or over the entire barrier to help reestablish that barrier? Usually I wouldn't bother but I think that barrier is one of the things that kept the sub floor from rotting along with the boards.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-21-17, 06:00 PM
Post a picture, no idea what "boards" you talking about.
Is this a laminate floor?
If so huge mistake, never should have been used in a wet area!

Old 09-22-17, 02:40 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Is this on a concrete slab?

Old 09-22-17, 06:10 AM
Sorry, this is on hardwood flooring over a subfloor with crawlspace . Subfloor is good, just want something to fix the vapor barrier without buying a whole roll of vapor barrier.

Old 09-22-17, 06:22 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Often the only underlayment/barrier used with hardwood is #15 roofing felt. Might check with someone roofing a house for a small amount.

Old 09-22-17, 03:48 PM
The material between the flooring and subfloor is a vapor retarder. Flooring cleat holes and a few nicks shouldn't adversely affect the overall effectiveness. Hardwood in a bathroom isn't a great idea to begin with and shower/tub/plumbing leaks could result in a headache. If you want to replace the damaged area take marksr's advice and get a small piece from somebody working in your neighborhood. Or check with a lumber yard or big box and see if there are some pieces of roofing felt or Aquabar B laying around. A vapor barrier between a hardwood floor and subfloor will prevent moisture from dissipating....not a good thing.

Old 09-22-17, 05:54 PM
Thanks for the info! Yeah it's the downstairs bathroom beside the kitchen, so everything is hardwood.