Last row of planks (laminate flooring)

Old 10-07-17, 05:31 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Last row of planks (laminate flooring)

I'm down to my last row, and of course it isn't going to fit right in. Just measuring from the wall there is probably going to to be about a 1/4" difference at the start and end of my first plank (and I am guessing similar on the other side of a door frame, and then I'll have to jigsaw some cuts for the door frame. Anyway, for the rip cut on the last couple of planks along the length can I just measure from the wall to the installed planking, add 3/8" for the expansion gap on each end of the board and just do a snap line? Is there some secret technique to make it easier?

Old 10-07-17, 09:42 PM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
This is the way I did it for peel and stick tile and a small amount of Pergo laminate I did...I think yours might be the same method.

Take the plank you are going to trim and lay it directly over the preceding one (towards the center, not along the wall). Now take another plank and put it to the wall in line with the one you will be cutting. If you mark the plank to be cut using the one butted to the wall as a guide, when you cut it, it should fit right to the wall and adjacent to the next to last tile. Since you need an expansion space, it doesn't have to be super exact as gap will be covered by trim. If you have a tongue on the guide plank, it would need to be removed on a table saw. You basically want nothing but the pattern showing. Hey, it's only one plank. You have a few extra I'd guess?

You shouldn't really try and fit to the door frame, it will never look good. Better to undercut the door frame and slip it underneath. Again, you don't have to be nearly as exact.

It's easier and quicker to do than to try to describe. No measuring involved.

To clarify....you are using composite laminate click lock style flooring? Like Pergo, TrafficMaster or similar. Not LVT planks?

Old 10-08-17, 06:10 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 77 Upvotes on 70 Posts
Here is a video of what Gunguy is saying. this is tile but same principle applies.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aD4_FibKqgw

Old 10-08-17, 03:34 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Yes, measure at the extreme ends of the planks to the wall. If you have removed the baseboard molding, then you can be a loosey goosey as you like as everything will be hidden. I usually just leave enough room to to engage the click lock and then get a pry bar to help snap it in place. Don't overthink. As far as the door transition, definitely undercut the door jamb and casing and slide it under. Much more finished presentation that way.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: