Planks Spreading while Replacing floor

Old 10-16-17, 05:42 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Planks Spreading while Replacing floor

We had some significant water damage in our kitchen and had to remove a very large chunk of our flooring (Kahrs Linnea). We've gotten everything dried out and are currently replacing the boards. We completed about 80% of the work, and suddenly our boards are not fitting! It appears that a part of our floor shifted (the entire run is about 40 feet wide and the damage was in the middle). Now, we are not sure how to fix this issue.

To be a little more clear, we can click in one side of the board, but the opposite side leaves a 1/16" to 1/8" gap that does not "click" in very well. The gap looks bad and we're concerned about the floor not locking. Any suggestions?

Old 10-16-17, 06:59 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
Assume this some type of laminate click lock.

Something has you out of square, more than likely you are going to have to take apart back to area that is solid install and reinstall.

I had a situation with a floor where I found small slivers of the material in the channel from the milling that caused similar issue, so might want to give them a quick look before installing.

Old 10-16-17, 01:26 PM
R
Sure is a laminate lock. Thanks for your answer, but that was my biggest fear. Looks like I'll have to pull up over 20 feet of boards to make this work. Funny thing is that the whole thing is in the middle of the floor (laminate already locked in place on both sides). I'll have to post a pic to give folks a clearer idea.

Old 10-16-17, 01:42 PM
D
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Is there a cellar below that floor?

Old 10-16-17, 02:22 PM
R
There is a crawl space below it.

Old 10-16-17, 03:57 PM
Received 721 Upvotes on 640 Posts
Sounds to me that the middle of the floor has been raised by the water damage. You have a crown in the middle section of the floor. Using 2 x 4 that is straight, place it across the middle. Does it make full contact across the whole surface of the floor? If so you may need to sand and level the high spots.

Old 10-16-17, 05:08 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Junk in the groove or tongue are usual suspects in laminate or other click lock that is not joining properly. Floor level issues will present themselves as "bounce" in the floor once it is done.

I assume that all the water damaged area was pulled and replaced before installing the new flooring.

Old 10-16-17, 05:11 PM
D
Is there enough room in the crawl space to inspect the joists to see what shifted?

Old 10-16-17, 05:44 PM
R
Some extra pics/info

Thank you all for our replies. I've attached some pictures for some additional clarity. Please note that due to the water damage we removed boards from the center of the floor - so we're basically trying to piece things back together in a really non-standard way, especially as we never removed the entire floor but just the area damaged by water.

Attached Images     
Old 10-16-17, 06:08 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Should never be less than 6-8 inches between joints on successive courses of the flooring. Optimally, if uniform lengths, you should bisect the boards by 1/3rd. The close proximity of the joints weakens the floor. Obviously an error in the installation.

Old 10-17-17, 08:36 AM
D
I agree that you the installation is incorrect.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: