Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

How to transition from hardwood floor to door frame?

11-26-17, 08:27 PM   #1 (permalink)  
How to transition from hardwood floor to door frame?

Hello. Complete beginner here. Just finished construction of my new home and am trying to complete a few projects.

I had Shaw Epic Plus engineered hardwood floors installed in my house. Overall, the guys did a pretty good job. However, I've got two areas that appear unfinished. It's where the floor meets two door frames. I can still see the sub floor.

I'm wondering if there is a product that I could buy and install to cover this transition area. I do still have quite a bit of the flooring left but I'm not sure that I want (or would be able) to rip pieces to fit in the gaps.

Does anyone have any idea what I could do here?

Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

NE

11-26-17, 08:32 PM   #2 (permalink)  
If clearance is a problem, rip a piece of flat trim that matches the floor, slight round over on the leading edge. If you have plenty of height to work with, baseshoe would work. U will have to stain and finish it to match.

MI

11-27-17, 02:47 AM   #3 (permalink)  
Overall, the guys did a pretty good job.

So your installers did that?

Personal I'd demand that they come back and repair.

What they should have done is undercut the casing molding, and trimmed the wood so it would extend out to the bottom door frame for a neat butt joint. In the bottom picture it looks like there is a small piece about the same length as the width, that is also a no-no.

That sloppy work is unacceptable!! You should not have to patch up a new wood floor that was not installed correctly!

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

11-27-17, 03:29 AM   #4 (permalink)  
I agree, get the installer back to finish - that is not a finished product ..... which I assume is what you paid for.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

Forum Topic Moderator

NE

11-27-17, 06:39 AM   #5 (permalink)  
Most wood floors need an expansion joint around every perimeter so it's not that unusual to see a gap there.

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

11-27-17, 10:29 AM   #6 (permalink)  
While I know it's common procedure to have a gap that is hid by the base or shoe mold, I've always seen them lay the hardwood tight to thresholds. .... which is how I did it in my foyer about 20 yrs ago - still looks good.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

Forum Topic Moderator

VA

11-27-17, 04:15 PM   #7 (permalink)  
What type of installation - nail down or floating?

MI

11-28-17, 02:50 AM   #8 (permalink)  
Most wood floors need an expansion joint around every perimeter so it's not that unusual to see a gap there.
For doors I always butt the wood up to the frame, if there is concern you can easily leave a small gap and caulk.

But this is not an expansion gap its a case of horrible workmanship.

https://www.doityourself.com/forum/a...1&d=1511862613

Attached Images

11-28-17, 06:08 AM   #9 (permalink)  
This has been glued down.

Search this Thread