Can I used engineer hardwood floors on rounded stairs?

Old 12-08-17, 02:22 PM
S
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
Can I used engineer hardwood floors on rounded stairs?

Hi-

We are considering installing engineered hardwood floors throughout our downstairs including the stairs going up. My question is: can we used engineered hardwood on stairs that have both rounded edges as well as rounded corners? I have attached a picture of our carpeted stairs as well as a sample of what we would like to do.

Thank you.

Attached Images   
Old 12-08-17, 03:21 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Engineered flooring looks like plywood when you look at it on its edge. Stair nosing could probably be found for straight treads. Rounded corner tread moldings are most likely not available. If floating, it is not recommended for stairs straight or rounded. You most likely will have to have custom treads made for your landing steps.

Old 12-08-17, 03:35 PM
Received 388 Upvotes on 337 Posts
What is under the carpet? 'You may have already nice treads there that can be refinished to match your new floor. BTW: the hardwood floor you have now looks pretty good. If it is also under the carpet in the distance, you might consider unjust having it all sanded and refinished.

Old 12-08-17, 07:45 PM
S
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
I am assuming just plywood under the carpet. We just moved in. We keep going back and forth. 80% of our first floor has real hardwood already. We just need to finish off the family room and maybe to two small offices (or we just carpet the two small offices). We really want the stairs to look like what is in the picture below.

Ideally we would like to refinish our current floors with a nice dark chocolate stain. Just not sure how much of a nightmare it is to have all of that sanded down and restrained and to get matching wood in the family room which is right next to the stairs in our picture. Someone told us to just put engineered flooring over our existing. Sounds good off the bat but not if we can't get the stairs the way we want. Plus I can see it will cause some issues with door clearance and some vents we have at the bottom of the walls that meet the floors.

Maybe we just suck it up and go away for a week or so and get the floors sanded.

Old 12-08-17, 08:01 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
Maybe we just suck it up and go away for a week or so and get the floors sanded.
At least a week. The smell from oil is miserable and can really hang on.

Hey hon.... let's go to Disneyland.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: