Baseboard Against Staircase

Old 12-24-17, 10:09 AM
Baseboard Against Staircase

I recently installed a new hardwood floor throughout my house. Previously, 3 inch baseboard was installed. I am looking to replace it with 5 inch baseboard. The issue I am having is that the stringer on my staircase is only about 3 inches tall, so I can't just butt the trim up against it. I would appreciate any advice on transitioning in this situation, Thanks in advance.

Attached Images   
Sponsored Links
Old 12-24-17, 10:20 AM
Group Moderator
I would miter the base so that the top edge turns down to line up with the top edge of your stair skirt cove. It would mean inspecting the angle of the stairs... probably two 19 degree angles... Or somewhere thereabouts.

Then since your skirt is thicker than the base I would probably bevel the top edge and right side of the skirt back at a 45 to meet the base rather than have a square edge there.

That base is a little out of proportion with the size of your casing.

Old 12-24-17, 11:20 AM
I've seen baseboard go up the skirt as well, but never anything that tall. I think it would make the whole situation even more complicated.

What would you suggest for cutting the skirt?

Also, if you mean that the door casing is too thin, I've been contemplating changing that out as well, but then I would have to do the windows as well, and I'm not exactly thrilled about doing all of that, but it may come down to it. Or just use shorter base...

Old 12-24-17, 11:33 AM
Group Moderator
Not sure you are following me. Draw a line on the wall that extends the top edge of your skirt cove to where it would meet the top edge of the base in your photo. The top edge of the base would turn that corner and butt into the top edge of the skirt.... to fill up that little triangle... not to sit on top of the entire skirt.

You can bevel the skirt back with a multi tool or a flap disk on a grinder.

What I mean is that 5" base looks too wide next to 2 1/4" wide casing. It's disproportionate.

Old 12-24-17, 12:02 PM
Group Moderator
I would make and install a plinth block between the baseboard and the stair skirt. That will make a nice transition between the two moldings.

Old 12-24-17, 12:09 PM
Group Moderator
Just playing............................

Name:  IMG_4437.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  20.6 KB

A plinth block would make a great splice there.

Old 12-25-17, 10:56 AM
Pjmax,
That looks really good. I think one issue I have is the thickness difference between the skirt and base. I think I might have to bevel it like Xsleeper suggested.