Poly still off-gasing or other reason for lingering smell?

Old 01-17-18, 09:57 PM
Poly still off-gasing or other reason for lingering smell?

I used Pro Finisher 275 VOC poly on my hardwood floors. 3 coats. Finished in early December. I let it dry for maybe 2 weeks before I covered the floor with RAM board to protect it while I painted. It took my awhile cause I was working on the weekends and didn't want to get burned out from regular work, but I finally finished the room. I lifted the RAM board up Monday and later that night the floors started to smell like they are off-gasing.

I had called Rus-o-leum - they make the Pro Finisher poly - and a rep suggested I might try washing the floor, that that could possibly take away the smell.

Anyone familiar with that? Any soap or cleaning solution suggestions? It's been over a month - though not at 70 degress - since the poly was done, so I imagine it is dry enough to wash and see if that helps with the smell.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-18-18, 08:22 AM
Group Moderator
I'd let it go a few days and make sure there's good ventilation to the area. Given that you had them covered for a while, I would then give them a while to vent.

Old 01-18-18, 09:10 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Fresh air ventilation is the best way to get rid of the odor although it's not the best time of year for that. Covering the fresh poly might have slowed down the dissipation although some folks are more sensitive to the odor than others.

Old 01-20-18, 10:29 AM
What would be your washing solution suggestion? Iíve read conflicting reports about using white vinegar with water - I think it was 1/2 cup vinegar to 1 gallon warm water..

I rubbed my hand in the floor the other day and got a bit of the scent on my hand. Iím wondering if during the curing process some of the scent was kept on the surface by the floor covering.

Old 01-20-18, 10:51 AM
Group Moderator
I haven't found much helps accelerate the curing process but fresh air. That mixture is a generic solution for cleaning hardwood floors. You can try it. It won't hurt the poly.

Old 01-20-18, 11:04 AM
What about the Bona hardwood floor cleaning solution?

Old 01-20-18, 11:18 AM
Group Moderator
My father uses that. I don't think he's overly impressed with the results. I don't know how it will affect the smell. I would think anything you washed the floor with would only be a temporary reprieve from the odors.

Old 01-20-18, 11:20 AM
Group Moderator
Seems 3 out of 3 people have suggested fresh air and that it takes time. I make 4.

You can try anything you want, it probably won't hurt, but likely may not help either. If your looking for someone to rubber stamp what you think you should do, then by all means go ahead. But 4 out of 4 people here are telling you there is no magic wand to make a chemical smell suddenly disappear.

They make low odor products, and people with chemical sensitivities should definitely use them. You could try coating your floor with a different low odor finish... it might help lock in or cover up the smell.

Old 01-21-18, 02:59 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
You could try coating your floor with a different low odor finish... it might help lock in or cover up the smell.
IF you go that route be aware you can't just apply the coating, you'd need to lightly sand the existing so the new finish would adhere. You'd also want to make sure the new finish is compatible with the existing.