Installing Laminate Overtop of Old Hardwood

Old 02-05-18, 04:20 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Installing Laminate Overtop of Old Hardwood

Hello,

I am going to be installing laminate flooring over top (50 year) old hardwood flooring in my house. Currently I have a lot on squeaking and creeking while walking around the house. My question is, what is the best way to address this before laying down the new flooring? I figured it is best to hammer in some nails in the creeky areas. Which is better to use, nails or screws? Are 2' nails/screws long enough? Any other suggestions are welcome. Thank you.

Old 02-05-18, 09:31 PM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
The most obvious issue from your post is that putting laminate over the wood floor will not resolve the noise issues so that must be addressed,

As one who cautions laminate installers to consider wood since many are unhappy with the product compared to a real wood floor can the wood floor be repaired and refinished!

Old 02-06-18, 06:22 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thank you for your concern but it has already been decided to use laminate overtop of hardwood. I'm looking for opinions on how to decrease the creeking before I start laying the floor down this weekend. 2" wood screws or nails?

Old 02-06-18, 06:31 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
2 1/2" torx screws would probably be better, and you should try to locate and screw into the joists first of all. Hopefully that is where most of the squeeking (loose nails) is occuring. 2" screws will work in areas between the floor joists where you want to pull the subfloor and wood floor together, but I have found that predrilling the wood floor is sometimes needed to get it to suck together tight.

You probably won't get all of the squeeks out. Some squeeks are probably from the subfloor... others may be from the wood floor nails. If you really want zero squeeks you should probably think about removing the wood floor to eliminate any wood floor squeeks and to get at the subfloor nails.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: