finishing hardwood

Old 05-11-01, 01:29 PM
G
Visiting Guest
Hello,

I's it possible to get a turn of the centry golden brown from a new red oak floor?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-11-01, 02:59 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Probably not, I think you would have to start with White Oak. With Red Oak, you may end up with an Orange Floor.

Old 05-11-01, 06:51 PM
A
AzFred
Visiting Guest
Take a piece of red oak you plan on using to a commercial finish supplier that sells finishing materials to the cabinet and furniture trades (Professionals) and explain your desire. Chances are you can get what you are looking for but you must remember oak varies from one source to another. Case and point; Michigan Red Oak is different than Pennsylvania Red Oak and that includes the natural color. While red oak tends to go toward mauve or pinkish and ash to yellow, I have seen golden toned red oak.

Old 05-12-01, 12:49 PM
E
Elite Flooring/Ken Fisher
Visiting Guest
Lightbulb

You could look into the "fuming" process which ages woods much like what you are seeking. I have yet to find a website that deals in fumed hardwood flooring but there was a discussion not long ago at http://www.hoskinghardwood.com that dealt with it. Click on the floorboards forum and use the search option using fumed as your guide.

Apparently, Greg, from Norwegian Wood Floors in Maine(?) had 8,000 square feet of the stuff to install and finish, so somebody out there produces the stuff. I would guess it can be rather expensive.

Old 05-12-01, 04:23 PM
A
AzFred
Visiting Guest
Fuming is a good thought..... for someone else! If that will provide the desired results, go for it. It will cost more, it's an awful job to have to do and whom ever has to do it will certainly earn their fee.

Old 05-14-01, 06:42 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hardwood floor color

Try some different stains on some wood samples until you find one that you like. Some of the popular floor colors in the industry, other than Natural, are Harvest, Gunstock, and Golden.