Using Cork as Underlayment for Engineered Hardwood Floor

Old 03-13-18, 12:33 PM
C
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Using Cork as Underlayment for Engineered Hardwood Floor

I am planning to install an engineered hardwood floor in my condo. I have a 2nd floor unit, and I recently learned that my subfloor is gypcrete. I am trying to find the best underlayment to use, preferably something that is eco-friendly and has good acoustic properties. I came across cork, and in particular, one that is in sheets rather than rolls: Cork Underlayment - ideal sound and thermal insullation | WidgetCo

I have no idea if this is a good product, or if I should use something else. I appreciate any advice or suggestions.

Old 03-13-18, 03:06 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Is the floor nail down or floating? Click lock or glue together? Give us some more information. Once the floor is down, you will not be able to tell what is underneath it. But do provide additional info if you can.

Old 03-13-18, 03:29 PM
C
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Sorry, I should have been more specific. I am planning to float the floor. It's tongue and groove, and I would be gluing the boards together. I'm hoping that it works out okay. I originally intended to go with solid hardwood, but I realized that I don't have a plywood subfloor. I've heard that it's not advisable to nail into gypcrete or to lay a solid floor on it.

Old 03-13-18, 03:57 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
If not mistaken, the gypcrete is a sound deadening material. I do work for a local hotel who had that floated in all the rooms in one older building specifically for sound absorption. With floating floors, I go with a 3 in 1 underlayment and save the expense of something like cork. Doubt it will make much of a difference in sound transmission. Remember that thicker is not better with floating floors, in your instance, on a 2nd floor, a simple underlayment will do. Make sure you use the correct glue that is designed for engineered flooring. Remove baseboards and existing shoe molding to give you more room for your expansion gap. Under cut door jambs and casing so you can tuck the floor under for a clean look.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: