Subfloor height difference

Old 04-03-18, 12:03 AM
Subfloor height difference

Hi everyone,

Iím installing a new 22mm tongue and groove subfloor for an engineered wood floor. The room was previously two rooms that have been knocked together, and there is a height difference of around 22mm between the two. The first layer of subfloor is down and I plan to sheet over the lower of the two to create an underlayment to bring it up to level, and would appreciate advice on suitable materials: my current thoughts are some 8x4 sheets of 18mm OSB3 and then a layer of 4mm ply or hardboard, but would like to hear what other people think. Given that this is in a kitchen would some sort of membrane on top of the underlayment be a good idea to protect against spills, or would a good quality underlay handle this?

Many thanks,

Stu

Sponsored Links
Old 04-03-18, 05:00 AM
Group Moderator
Why not use the same 22mm thick material throughout instead of trying to make up the thickness with two sheets of other materials?

I would not install a waterproof membrane. Your floor isn't going to be waterproof so I don't see any benefit. If there is a water leak the membrane will trap the water and cause it to spread.

Old 04-03-18, 06:01 AM
Thanks that sounds a much better suggestion: Iím not sure why Iíd not considered just using 22mm sheet originally.