Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Flooring, Floor Coverings and Coatings Center > Solid Hardwood, Engineered and Laminate Flooring
Reload this Page >

Small hump in newly installed hardwood floor - not sure if this is a problem

Old 04-05-18, 01:10 PM

We've recently removed the carpets to install hardwood floors and we've found a small hump on the floor of the master bedroom (on 2nd floor). Our flooring guy promises this is a normal thing because of the LVL Beam. I just want to make sure if this is not a problem. Here are a couple pics for your observation.

Attached Images   
Sponsored Links
Old 04-05-18, 01:56 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Welcome to the forums!

Not sure what type of answer you are looking for but the flooring follows the subfloor. If the subfloor isn't perfectly level, neither will the hardwood [or whatever floor covering is used] As long as the subfloor is secure and well supported it's not really an issue. Worse case scenario you'd have to install a small shim/pad under a table leg.

Old 04-05-18, 04:46 PM
Well the installer is stating it's normal but the floor should have been checked for levelness and corrected as the installation proceed.

All floors have areas that are not flat but the same level check you are showing will identify them prior to installation and felt/tar paper is used to fill in the gaps!

Your installer did not do his job correctly!!

Old 04-05-18, 05:03 PM
I'm with Marksr on this one.
I could see a center beam set to high causing a hump in the middle, but that would have nothing to do with all the dips.
A simple brick string pulled tight across the whole floor would have told him there was issues.

Old 04-05-18, 06:10 PM
Thank you so much all your suggestions. I understand that this seems to be a flooring prep issue. I was worried if having a beam that has a bump of that sort could be a structural issue. I wasn't sure if I ask structural engineers to come down and take a look at this issue or not. Because they also charge by the hour.

Old 04-05-18, 07:08 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
If flooring installed parallel to the floor joists, this is the situation you can expect. Flooring should be installed perpendicular to the joists. Simple installation error, unless you stated your desire to have it run this way, then the installer should have warned you of potential problems.

Old 04-06-18, 06:57 AM
No the flooring has been installed perpendicular to the joists.