Question about Tongue & Groove Engineered Hardwood Flooring Installation

Old 04-21-18, 07:47 AM
C
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question about Tongue & Groove Engineered Hardwood Flooring Installation

I am preparing to install a T&G Engineered Hardwood floor. I've been watching tutorials on Youtube, and it looks like some of the installations have the tongue facing the wall, while others have the groove facing the wall. The instructions with my hardwood do not indicate a specific direction. They do, however, state that glue should be applied in the groove with the board upside down. From there, you turn the board over to spread the glue into the entire groove. This leads me to believe that the groove should face the wall. What is the best/preferred way?

Old 04-21-18, 08:32 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 832 Upvotes on 729 Posts
I've never installed any glue down hardwood. With nail down you always put the groove towards the wall so you can nail thru the tongue.

Old 04-21-18, 10:32 AM
D
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
If "The instructions with my hardwood do not indicate a specific direction.", that seems odd. I am installing an engineered wood flooring - Home Decorators Collection, 3/8" thick boards, from Home Depot - and it states to start with tongue facing the wall and it says the tongue on the first row should be cut off. I elected to just do the click-lock tongue & groove installation, not the gluing method. So, I have a "floating floor".

Old 04-21-18, 03:39 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Is it a click lock or a simple glue together? Nail down has tongue facing out. Click lock has the groove facing out. For glue together, I"m pretty sure you have the groove out, apply glue to the back side of the tongue so that there is no squeeze through when you pull the boards together. Secure short term with some blue painters tape pulled across the boards. Make sure the glue you use is specific for engineered glue down and not just any wood glue. Normal glues can be brittle when dry, works great on cabinetry, but floors have different forces on them.

What type of underlayment are you planning and what is the type of subfloor you have?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: