whether to use slightly warped boards in click-lock flooring installation

Old 04-24-18, 12:48 PM
whether to use slightly warped boards in click-lock flooring installation

The engineered wood flooring I purchased for my flooring project had a small number of warped boards. The main issue is boards that, when simply laid on the subfloor with the finished side up, do not lie flat; they touch the floor at the ends but may be 1/2" or so off the floor in the middle. Where the rise in the middle is not more than about 1/2", a slight pressure on the middle makes them touch the floor in the middle. But, in 2 or 3 cases, maybe more, that middle gap above the subfloor is 3/4" to 1".

I'm wondering whether I should discard the more severe cases but perhaps use those boards with a middle rise of 1/2" or less. When installed, they will will be forced to lie flat due to the tongue and groove connection with adjacent boards.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-24-18, 12:55 PM
I would not use them with any kind of warp-age. You should be able to return the bad units. But you may want to return the whole batch in order to get proper color match.

Old 04-24-18, 04:59 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Without being totally flat, you can not engage the click lock mechanism. If minimal pressure is needed to push down on the boards to get them flat, then they are probably OK to use. Don't put all the warped ones in the same area, stagger them around the room so that all those boards are locked in place with good straight boards.

If it requires substantial force to take the warp out, such as having to stand on them, they I would not use them.