Yardstick flooring

Old 05-08-18, 11:50 AM
Yardstick flooring

I amattempting to install a yardstick floor for a landing The yardsticks vary in height, any suggestions on how to lay yardsticks do floor will be level?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-08-18, 12:48 PM
Group Moderator
You can plane the pieces to the same thickness before installing them or you can install them then sand the entire area down to the same thickness.

Old 05-08-18, 12:49 PM
Group Moderator
I'm not sure I fully grasp the concept, but sounds like you would need to run them through a surface planer to achieve a standard thickness.

Old 05-08-18, 03:39 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Yes, also unfamiliar with "yardstick" flooring, please add some detail so we can direct you

Old 05-08-18, 04:39 PM
I have collected old yardsticks when ch I plan on laying on my landi
I have been collecting old yardsticks which I would like to cover my homes landing with, creating a floor. Problem is some yardsticks are 1/4” thick and some are 1/8” thick so was wondering if something could be placed on the underside of the 1/8” thick bringing them to 1/4” or is there a way of “shaving” off from the 1/4” thick yardsticks? I need to make all the sticks the same thickness in order for the floor to be even.

Old 05-08-18, 04:56 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
If you are using literal "yard Sticks" then you need to make sure that they are all the same thickness as you approach the project. Only way to have a flat floor.

I question the use of yardsticks as I don't follow it as a recommended flooring item. Hello, HGTV, you have another potential candidate for a new shoe..

Old 05-09-18, 06:00 AM
Group Moderator
"...is there a way of “shaving” off from the 1/4” thick yardsticks?"

Yes, it has been said several times. It's called planing and uses a tool called a planer.

Planing down all to the same thickness would be the best and easiest method. You could glue two 1/8" yardsticks together to make it 1/4" thick but you may have issue in the future with them coming unglued. Also, it's unlikely that your sticks are exactly 1/8" and 1/4" thick so you'll still have some unevenness. Planing will get them all to exactly the same thickness.