Buying Advice: Pneumatic or Electrical Nail Gun?

Old 09-07-18, 01:28 PM
marksr,

So how much trouble am I going to be in trying to match the stain if the wood is almost certain to be slightly off color compared to the original flooring? (floor is likely 75 years old). One of the reasons I was going to get a pro to refinish is because I'm lousy at matching stain.

The wife was thinking about sanding everything down and doing a no-stain finish over the raw wood. Does this issue make this option out of the question?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-07-18, 01:51 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
You really need to see the sanded wood first before you make that decision. A seasoned floor finisher should know what the raw wood will do when sealed or stained. Some floor finishers don't know much other than how to do the work and apply the product

Old 09-08-18, 07:23 AM
Yeah, well, the problem is that those who "don't know much other than how do the work and apply the product" often represent themselves as "seasoned" especially when they are trying to sell you something which one of the reasons I bring questions here to guys like you.

I've done enough to word working to know that the raw wood of the old floor and new samples won't match if unstained. But I do believe they could be stained to math well enough.

Once I (or a pro) figures out how to best match stains between the old and new floor, I wonder if I should stain the unfinished floor before laying it. Not so easy to apply two different stains when boards are tightly adjacent.

Old 09-08-18, 12:32 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
If you prestain the boards you'd need to also apply 1 coat of poly or handling the boards runs the risk of removing some of the stain. BUT you'll likely need to sand the new and old together to get it all level. IMO it isn't all that difficult to stain individual boards that are installed. and it doesn't need to be perfect because there will always be some color variance between boards.

Old 09-10-18, 02:29 PM
it doesn't need to be perfect because there will always be some color variance between boards.
Good point. I'll play around with it a little. Thanks Marq