what transition strip to look for

Old 06-18-18, 01:35 PM
P
Received 19 Upvotes on 18 Posts
what transition strip to look for

I have a master bedroom with an adjacent dressing area. There is a sink in the dressing area but the shower and toilet are behind another door and has tile flooring. The bedroom has hardwood strips nailed directly to the joists without any subfloor. The dressing area has some combination of subfloor/underlayment which results in the dressing area being at least 3/4 inch higher than the hardwood. Today, all is covered in carpet and there is no transition so the carpet just has a bump where the flooring changes. I have no attachment to the hardwood and have no problem covering it permanently.

We are looking to replace the carpet in the bedroom. Current plan is to use a laminate in the dressing area. I am trying to figure out what the transition strip looks like between the two types of flooring. A "T" shaped transition doesn't right for covering the edge of the laminate and the carpet if they are not at the same level. So, what am I looking for here?

If I did decide to just re-carpet the whole thing , how do I improve the transition? Do I need to put down 3/4 inch plywood over the hardwood to bring it up to the level of the dressing area? I wasn't planning to remove/replace cabinetry in the dressing area which would let me cut out subfloor in that area but maybe that is the incentive I need to update the entire space.

What's the best approach here?

- Peter

Old 06-18-18, 03:24 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Your description is quite confusing. If the existing transition is higher, you can undercut it with a router and fit laminate in underneath... while still having room for expansion on the ends. If it's a transition to carpet, I might add an additional matching hardwood transition that is beveled, say from 5/8 to 3/8 so that you have less of a bump.

Old 06-18-18, 05:09 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
I understand that the dressing area is higher. Adding laminate will make it even higher. You have to step down or up depending on your direction. I would use a carpet reducer. Get it in unfinished and finish it to match either the hardwood or the laminate. A smaller transition could be obtained by using a vinyl locking floor that is much thinner than laminate, installs the same way and is impervious to water issues.

Here is a link to the reducer I described. Big orange box store carries these in unfinished style.

https://www.amazon.com/Prefinished-H.../dp/B0759TG7VZ

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: