Floor leveling issues

Old 06-23-18, 12:52 PM
Smile Floor leveling issues

Howdy..

NewB here. But not new to DIY.

In process of getting floor prepped for about 1300 sq feet of laminate on main floor of house. Was about 1/3 engineered oak hardwood, 1/3 carpet and 1/3 tile before.

Live in Nebraska and have a basement - subfloor is 5/8 " (19/32 to be exact) OSB, joists 16" o/c.

Kitchen where hardwood was is pretty well level and took up oak floors and left 1/4" underlayment (USG Fiberock) in place. Everything else is taken down to OSB surface.

Got my laser level out and started spinning it around the room, checking level. Expected to have some big concerns with an area in my foyer, about 10-12 feet from halfway point in house where kitchen threshold begins (and is level).

Floor crowns at +7/8" above reference point at Kitchen threshold. Other areas where previously carpeted also vary from +1/4" to +1/2" at points 6-12-16 feet away from reference point.

Kind of at a loss on how to handle. Was thinking of renting a floor sander to take down some high spots but know there is a limited amount of material I can take off OSB.

Have also considered using self-leveling substrates but the cost is pretty extreme.

Looking for advice and/or other tricks.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-23-18, 04:08 PM
Group Moderator
How does the floor feel when you walk on it? If the high spots aren't noticeable I might be tempted to let the floor be. There is no way you are going to sand down all that height variation unless you plan on coming back and installing another layer of subflooring.

Old 06-23-18, 04:29 PM
Group Moderator
When you say laminate, are you talking about a thin 9mm click lock floor?

What it would do is check the floor with a straight edge. Something 8ft long or more, and perfectly straight. Set it on the floor and look for dips and humps... turn it in all directions. Report back what you find.

5/8 osb is not a good substrate for tile, and it's possible the weight has deflected joists if they were undersized. You definitely do not want to sand your subfloor down.

Old 06-24-18, 03:23 PM
Is 5/8" osb okay as subfloor?

Meestermike, I am doing the same, but upstairs. The thing that stood out for me was the 5/8" osb subfloor you have. Have you checked with your flooring manufacturer what their recommended minimum is? I only ask because when I was looking at flooring, a lot of them stated 3/4" osb minimum as a subfloor and 5/8" was the minimum for plywood. I pulled up my osb and replaced with plywood. Anyway, just thought you might want to know/ignore.

Old 06-24-18, 03:29 PM
Group Moderator
Subfloor requirements vary depending on if the floor is nail down or floating. Click lock laminates are floating.

Old 06-25-18, 10:03 AM
Sorry, I should have stated.

Yes, I am using a 12mm click-lock floating laminate floor. Manufacturer’s specs allow for 1/8” floor variations in 6ft, which is practically nothing.

Old 06-25-18, 11:29 AM
Group Moderator
Well then you should be using a 6ft straight edge.