Ripping up part of hardwood floor

Old 07-02-18, 09:35 AM
Ripping up part of hardwood floor

We are renovating the kitchen in our "new" house built in 1925! We ripped up 2 layers of linoleum and were overjoyed to find hardwood! Unfortunately, the wood is not consistent throughout. About 2/3 of the kitchen is 3 1/4" douglas fir, but the other 1/3 is a mixture of different pieces (photo attached). The 2" white oak is the same wood that is in the rest of the downstairs. The cabinets will not cover this, so we need to figure out how to fix it. Any advice on how to do this? How difficult is it to rip up hardwood? If we can't find douglas fir to match, any suggestions on what to use? Any input is appreciated!

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 07-08-18, 10:28 AM
Tearing out hardwood is straightforward, especially if you 're not trying to save any pieces.

But first, are you sure those douglas fir boards are flooring and not subflooring. Are they the first layer on the joists or is there something below them?

Second, are you keeping the white oak? And are you extending it all the way through your kitchen (i.e. removing doug fir as well)? If you are, there may be a problem with the ends near your sander and the other side near that orange container where the boards stop at a transition. If the tongues or grooves at those ends have been cut you will have an issue with tying in new white oak strips. you will have to take out boards until you get to a groove or tongue. You don't want new boards to start in a straight line. Joints are supposed to stagger for overall strength.

At this point, please know that I am only a diyer and offer my advise on what I would think I need to do. I would then come to this site and ask the good people here for advise!!

Last edited by edee_em; 07-08-18 at 10:45 AM. Reason: add info
Old 07-09-18, 04:13 AM
Can I just add another thought? I would be more inclined to try and keep the oak instead of the douglas fir. One, it will match the rest of the house and two, it is much harder than the fir, which is a softwood. Also, think about ripping the entire space up, trying to salvage the white oak to reuse and refloor the area. I think it would be a lot easier to do than trying to tie in new to old. Also, it will give you an opportunity to check the floor for overall stability and do repairs more easily should they be required. I know you were excited about finding a hardwood floor but you didn't really as most of it is softwood and it looks like there are 3 different types of flooring in that space (the floor under your sander looks to have some red oak in it) going in a variety of directions. Again, advise not based on anything other than what I would do in my home.