Floating floor over concrete/ cutback adhesive

Old 07-21-18, 04:37 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Floating floor over concrete/ cutback adhesive

I am remodeling a basement apartment with a concrete floor and no moisture issues. The original flooring was 1950's vinyl with cutback adhesive (asbestos). This has all been removed and the floor cleaned. It is still black from the adhesive but smooth. I am going to put a floating click type engineered flooring in most of the area and tile in the entryway.

I am considering using a SLC over the entire area to provide a more uniform surface and ensure good adhesion in the tiled area. However, except for a few chips here and there the existing floor is level and flat. I would appreciate any thoughts on using SLC in this situation. Part of me says it is overkill and just fix the minor dings with thin set.

Thoughts?

Thanks
David

Old 07-22-18, 05:53 AM
Received 594 Votes on 531 Posts
Not sure how to respond to your question. If everything is clean, smooth and flat, then just fill in the few chip area s and go to it. No harm in using the floor leveler, but why?

Old 08-08-18, 07:48 AM
M
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
THough Norm is right, I have this 'overkill is better' feeling when doing some projects. If the floor is flat and level, SLC can only add support in areas where you are questioning things. One thing I would do after leveling, is to put down an underlayment with sealed vapor barrier and even run that up a quarter inch or so up the walls behind the baseboards. I put down VINYL planks over cement and was told that I would not need a vapor barrier, but that turned out to be wrong. Cement draws moisture. So, always use a vapor barrier under your underlayment, or an underlayment with a vapor barrier.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: