Is there a risk in exposing an old floor?

Old 08-19-18, 03:45 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Is there a risk in exposing an old floor?

My house was build in 1940 and one can see what the original floors look on picture number one. They are solid wood and about an inch thick.
Someone installed an engineered floor in the kitchen by laying a half an inch thick plywood base and then linoleum on the top as seen in picture number two.
It seems that subsequently, someone installed an engineered floor which now is also in bad shape. The third picture is taken by removing one of the vents. The gray is just the metal of the duct, one can see the hardwood floor and the engineered stuff on top.
I would like to remove the engineered floor, linoleum and plywood, expose the original floor and refinish it and the question is: Is there any risk in doing so?
Thanks in advance.

B.

Attached Images    
Old 09-03-18, 01:13 PM
B
I was just curious if anyone would advise me against exposing the old floor and why.

Old 09-03-18, 01:25 PM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
Risk, no, at some point you can only add so much so eventually need to get to the base layer,

Ill be shocked it that base layer is able to be salvaged, I assume they added the layers for a reason!

Old 09-03-18, 01:50 PM
B
Thank you for your reply. The original or base floor supposed to look like the floor on the top picture. It is all solid wood (ash) and almost an inch thick.

Do floors that thick get damage beyond the point of being salvaged?

Thanks in advance.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: