Tenant owned laminate floor possibility?

Old 08-30-18, 10:07 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Tenant owned laminate floor possibility?

Hi- I'm new here. Thanks for helping in advance.
I rent an office in which there is low pile commercial high traffic carpeting installed. It's ugly but in OK shape.
Eventually I want to install a clean laminate flooring that goes better with the clean look of the office. Originally the landlord said he'd help pay for it, and now I'm learning that's never going to happen.
Is it possible for me to install a floating laminate flooring and then take it with me when I move out three or so years from now?
All recommendations and wise words are welcome. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 08-30-18, 11:11 AM
Group Moderator
Received 54 Votes on 51 Posts
Sure. Remove the carpet, roll it up and store it somewhere so you can have it reinstalled when you leave.

Old 08-30-18, 11:14 AM
Received 21 Votes on 17 Posts
Floating laminate flooring is probably removable but I imagine it could be damaged and not very reusable. Also what is the likelihood of having the exact size space and configuration? Finding additional flooring to match for the new space could be a problem

There may be legal issues with installing and then removing it. Check your lease agreement. Many state that any tenant improvements must be left in place when the premises is vacated. You usually also need the landlord's approval to put them in. Maybe in that case you can get an approval letter that also states that you can take it with you when you leave.

But you will probably be responsible to restore the flooring to its original condition. I don't think you can successfully install a floating floor on top of the existing carpet. So you might have to replace it if you rip it up.

Commercial carpet is often glued down so rolling it up and saving to replace it may not be feasible.

Last edited by 2john02458; 08-30-18 at 11:16 AM. Reason: added comment about glue.
Old 08-30-18, 04:12 PM
Group Moderator
Received 260 Votes on 235 Posts
I think it's a snowball's chance that you'll actually remove flooring planks and take them with you in the future. The labor involved will likely cost more than the floor is worth. If you do intend to install new flooring I would carefully read your lease and discuss it with your landlord before removing the carpet. Best would be to get written permission before you make any changes.

Old 08-30-18, 05:25 PM
Received 9 Votes on 7 Posts
What ever way you go, do not try to install the laminate over the top of the carpet. Will not work! I'm inclined to recommend that you try some area rugs if you want to mask the ugly carpet. Although these will probably "walk"on you and need continual re-alignment. If you have furniture and say a coffee table that you can put on it, it is less likely to move.