How to cut the seamless transition in hardwood floor?

Old 09-11-18, 07:02 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How to cut the seamless transition in hardwood floor?

Hello all,

Can someone give me advice on how to make the seamless transition as shown in the picture?
I assume if I cut the board one at time, it will be very hard to make a seamless connection.

Thank you

Name:  q4.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  10.0 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 01-28-19 at 08:29 PM. Reason: resized picture
Sponsored Links
Old 09-11-18, 07:20 PM
Group Moderator
Received 303 Votes on 276 Posts
The transition board with the arrows (and others like it) were likely installed first. That board was also likely custom made, possibly with a groove on both sides. Then maybe a spline was placed into that board on each side. Then as the planks fall on each side of it and are cut to length, they would get the ends routered individually to fit over that spline.

You would need matching tongue and groove router bits to make the mitered ends of the flooring interlock with the transition board.

Old 09-11-18, 07:59 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hello XSleeper,

One of our bedrooms aligns with an angle to the hallway. I though I could introduce an transition to separate the floor between room and hallway although both floor will have similar direction.

The issue I will run into is that I don't know how to make the seamless connection between the green lines and red lines. If your method is the only way to do it then I will not be able to do it.

Another question is what Pro will do in this case? 1> Do not make any transition?
Thank you

Name:  q5.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  24.9 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 01-28-19 at 08:30 PM. Reason: cropped/resized picture
Old 09-11-18, 08:24 PM
Group Moderator
Received 303 Votes on 276 Posts
The only other way to do it would be to have the transition lay on top of... or be rabbeted (notched) to sit over the floor edge. If the transition is lipped over the floor, it would cover the edge of all the cut boards. However the edges of the transition would need to be rounded and it would need to sit 1/4" higher, as that is about the bare minimum thickness the wood could be. Transitions like this are fairly common at doorways between dissimilar floors. With a wood floor there is usually no reason to have a transition that is not flush. Unless you simply can't do it, or don't have the skill to do it, that is.

And yes, if there is no reason to introduce a transition, (such as for a change of direction or a change of layout) a professional might skip it and continue running the flooring through the doorway opening if it continues out the other side. But often, you want to separate rooms just for the sake of starting and stopping the flooring... or for expansion and contraction on large layouts.

Old 09-12-18, 10:15 AM
Received 172 Votes on 159 Posts
I've done similar but not with 2 transitions.

It will require accurate measuring and cutting but it can be done with a miter saw and table saw.

Each transition board will need a spline installed (tongue on both sides).

All the floor boards meeting the transition boards will require grooves cut into them with the table saw.

It's going to be a lot of work!!

if there is no reason to introduce a transition, (such as for a change of direction or a change of layout)
Thresholds at doors are a personal preference, personally I like thresholds at each door way to visually act as a divider between rooms.

I've been in homes that did not have them and it just looked odd to me having flooring that ran through rooms but again, personal preferance!