Flooring on the ceiling? In a bathroom?

Old 10-13-18, 10:06 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Flooring on the ceiling? In a bathroom?

Id like to install some engineered flooring on the ceiling in my bathroom. Im looking at a white oak wear layer over engineered plywood backer. (Not the mdf stuff).

Ive installed pine V-notch t&g pine on the ceiling in a bathroom several years ago with no issues. I figure that engineered stuff should be much more stable than pine. There is a good ventilation fan installed. Anyone see a major problem with that?
I know the manufacturers will tell me its not intended for this and no warranty but I think that is probably a canned answer.

Thanks for for your thoughts.
Mike

Sponsored Links
Old 10-13-18, 11:43 AM
Received 87 Votes on 78 Posts
Give this a look, I installed in my master bath a few years ago and it looks really good!

https://www.armstrongceilings.com/re...ng-planks.html

Old 10-13-18, 03:33 PM
Group Moderator
Received 184 Votes on 173 Posts
Nope, nothing wrong with it if that's what you like. Manufacturers do always cover their back side by excluding unusual applications so that isn't surprising.... but is not always an indication that what you want to do won't work.

Old 10-14-18, 02:49 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 118 Votes on 105 Posts
My youngest son has pine T&G on his ceilings [including bath rms] It was there when he bought the house a dozen yrs ago and still looks good. His full bath didn't have an exhaust fan when he bought the place but we installed one. As long as the flooring is nailed thru the drywall to secure it to the ceiling joists I don't see any issues with it. Personally I like the look of a wood ceiling.