hardwood at nosing that doesn't have groove

Old 10-16-18, 09:13 AM
E
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
hardwood at nosing that doesn't have groove

I had stairs refinished and installer put in nosing without a tongue or groove. Thinking about it, it looks like this will be a very noisy spot with hardwood floor rubbing against nosing if I don't fasten it properly so it doesn't move. I was thinking of the following options. Your thoughts are greatly appreciated.

1. Glue (pl400 or similar) flooring to nosing where they meet and to subfloor. Nail down with finishing nails from air gun (top nail)

2. Use some kind of gasket between floor and nosing; something like the rosin/wax paper laid on the floor. I was thinking of having the wax paper come up a bit and then trim it off. I don't like this as much because I won't be able to glue down the flooring at the nosing, if gluing is needed.

3. Use the gasket idea but only where flooring meets nosing so I can still glue floor to subfloor and break the wood on wood contact.

I would write down a #4 but I would just be making stuff up! Did I miss something? Is one of the three above better or is some combination the way to go? Is the glue strong enough on its own?

Thanks

Old 10-16-18, 09:55 AM
J
Received 128 Upvotes on 113 Posts
Please post a picture of what your talking about.
I'm confused, the only nosing I know of on a stair is where it overhangs the riser below, so your whole storey does not make sense if that's what your talking about.
To me it sounds more like your talking about 1/4 rd or shoe molding, which is never glued in place, or going to cause noise.

Old 10-16-18, 10:15 AM
E
Hi Joecaption. Picture attached. The nosing I'm referring to is that piece on which the spindles and railings are attached. The flooring would be butting up against it. This nosing was made by the installer and he did not include a groove. Regardless, I have to rip flooring along the long side of the staircase so a groove wouldn't help any way. I just want to minimize the chance of wood on wood rubbing and potential squeaks. Hope this helps make my request make a little more sense.

Name:  n1.jpg
Views: 657
Size:  74.5 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 01-14-20 at 05:42 PM. Reason: reoriented/resized picture
Old 10-16-18, 11:07 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
So you are asking how to install up to the wood under the spindles?

Not sure of the directions of the planks but you would simply place the first plank against the board, groove side and face nail.

Worst case you many have to rip the tongue off but nothing more needs to be done.

Old 10-16-18, 02:06 PM
E
Hi Marq1. There is a bedroom opposite that railing and I have laid the hardwood in that room and I am about to make my way into the hallway. The tongues are facing the wood under spindles but the last piece will have to be ripped so the groove will be cut away. The planks will be running parallel to that. I laid down a plank to show direction but it also looks like I was just too lazy to pick it up LOL. So it is your opinion that there won't be any rubbing happening and that the nailing will keep the plank in place? Thanks.

Old 10-16-18, 04:43 PM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
All planks give a little when walked on so as they move in the area where you walk there would be little if any movement transferd to the outer edges!

Old 10-16-18, 07:33 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,905 Upvotes on 1,711 Posts
With a router and a bit you can make a dado in the nosing... also put a matching dado in the piece you rip, and use a spline to connect the two. Plus glue and finish nails of course.

Old 10-17-18, 04:53 AM
E
XSleeper, The only router I have is the one that lets me get on the internet to come here and ask for advise! I understand this would probably be the better way to meet the two pieces, but I don't want to have to buy a router for a one-time application. Some suggest face nailing will suffice and I thought adding some glue (PL) would help. Thoughts?

Old 10-17-18, 04:57 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 832 Upvotes on 729 Posts
I've painted 100s of new construction homes with wood floors and have never known of any of them to have T&G nosing. Properly nailed along with roofing felt under the flooring pretty much eliminates any squeaking.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: