Direction of Flooring in "Florida Room"

Old 10-19-18, 11:22 AM
V
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Direction of Flooring in "Florida Room"

I have a question regarding what direction to run flooring in the step down room (9' x 22' room). I plan on putting down either laminate or vinyl plank flooring in that room. Pictures are here: https://imgur.com/a/vFMFhqV

Do I run it in the same direction as the rest of the house? The rest of the house (except kitchen and bathrooms) has 1.5" oak hardwood. If I run it the same direction will it look too choppy and make the room look even narrower? Or should I run it perpendicular to the rest of the house or would that be odd?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Old 10-19-18, 12:31 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 821 Upvotes on 720 Posts
Would this be on a concrete slab? or do you have a wood subfloor and joists?
IMO long ways might make the room feel narrower but a lot depends on how you furnish it.

Old 10-19-18, 12:35 PM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
If there are floor joists you have to run perpendicular, if cement you can run in any direction.

I have never understood the concept of the direction of the floor making a room feel big,long, short, anything.

As noted once you put in rugs and furniture the direction of the floor is almost invisible!

Old 10-19-18, 01:02 PM
V
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Its a concrete slab, this room was an addition from the previoius owner. Ideally want to make the room feel less narrow but I think if I run the same direction as the rest of the house (perpendicular to the 22' wall) that it might look a little too choppy with all the cuts/joints.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: