Help! Spilled mineral spirit-poly mix on my hardwood floor (with pictures)

Old 10-20-18, 06:14 PM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Help! Spilled mineral spirit-poly mix on my hardwood floor (with pictures)

Hi folks,

So I’ve done exactly one wood finishing project in my life, and one of the things I had left over was a mason jar containing a mix of mineral spirits and polyurethane. (This was the first few layers I used on the wood project—a thisoldhouse article suggested I do so). Well, I just noticed that it tipped over and spilled on my hardwood floor upstairs. Probably spilled at least several days ago—I’m guessing it ate through the seal on the mason jar lid—and left this 3D gelatinous mass on my hardwood. It’s shiny as anything but I’m guessing I should remove it. Also you’ll see the gunk spread to a cheesecloth package nearby, so the whole front of that package (or at least its imprint) is stuck there too.

So should I get some pure mineral spirits and go to town? Or try scraping (has not been successful so far)?

any help greatly appreciated!

pics:
https://imgur.com/a/onnbxsP
Name:  floor1.jpg
Views: 860
Size:  93.0 KB

Name:  floor2.jpg
Views: 1920
Size:  75.4 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 10-21-18 at 12:35 PM. Reason: added pics from link
Old 10-20-18, 07:41 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,905 Upvotes on 1,711 Posts
Mineral spirits won't do a thing. You will need to use a belt sander or multiple applications of a chemical stripper to get it off... or both.

Old 10-21-18, 02:33 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 832 Upvotes on 729 Posts
Mineral spirits only works if the poly is still wet/tacky. Any solvent strong enough to remove the poly would also harm the existing finish along with having a too offensive odor to be inside the house. I agree with X, there isn't much of an option other than sanding/stripping and refinishing.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: