Laminate Options Near Slanted Floor Over Staircase

Old 11-04-18, 06:26 PM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Laminate Options Near Slanted Floor Over Staircase

I need to install laminate flooring near a slanted floor (currently an empty 2' x 3' plywood board) that goes over a stair case ceiling space.
There are a couple design questions I've got:
  1. How should I end the floor? My gut instinct is to use a reducer, but that might look silly if there's just a curved edge that goes up against it.
  2. What other options do I have to do with this space that can be easily integrated with laminate flooring? A few ideas I have are:
  • Don't even treat it as flooring, put in some drywall, and add shelves. But then how would we transition it... do slanted baseboards exist?
  • Add carpeting and use a reducer (the previous owner had carpeting everywhere, but we're trying to avoid it because cleaning up carpets after pets isn't fun)
  • Stick another piece of plywood on top, add Velcro to the top and add cat scratching pads (the litter box is also planned to go into this room). In this option we would also use a reducer, I think but there might be a noticeable sharp edge between the second plywood and the reducer... maybe sand down the corner.
Either way we can't move on with the installation until we figure this out, because the laminate piece needs to be cut to fit the option that we choose.

Attached Images  

Last edited by foosballa; 11-04-18 at 06:57 PM. Reason: Adding Image
Old 11-04-18, 11:05 PM
T
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
To me it looks like a slanted part of the wall. I would make that area into a built in and add baseboard. It's not like you're going to be walking on it.

Old 11-05-18, 08:22 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
Not clear if you want to finish off the floor as it exists in the picture or run it up the slanted wall.

If as it exists you probably need a custom trim piece with the 120 angle vs the normal 90 angle on the wall.

Old 11-05-18, 03:19 PM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks this helps a lot. Yea the plan is to finish off the floor similar to what is shown in the picture, I'm not gonna slant it up the wall. I will need to re-cut a new board to size thin place of the one that's there though.

The space behind that sloped plywood is shared with a separate mini-closet and stuff can get stuck there. I talked with somebody who worked on a similar unit (it's in a cookie-cutter townhouse) and they put together a design that would allow easier access to the space, although they put carpet on the slanted plywood along with the remainder of the room.

Anyways, I've decided to treat the slope as a wall as suggested (and may build in a customized hatch in the future), which means that I can re-cut the laminate piece to just within the expansion tolerance of the edge of that slope and finish off the rest of the room.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: