Need help with transition between hardwood floor and linoleum please

Old 03-06-19, 08:08 PM
U
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Need help with transition between hardwood floor and linoleum please

Hello-

I'm installing 3/4" solid hardwood floors on wooden subfloor. I'm reaching a point where my hardwood is meeting linoleum and I'm kind of confused as to what to do. I went to a flooring shop and explained the situation, and they sold me a long transition piece, which I cut a small portion from as you can see in the pictures.

I'm not getting how this transition piece is supposed to work the best way. First, the transition piece is a little taller than my hardwood (see pictures) so I guess I'll have to run it through a table saw and slice a tiny little bit off? Or sand it down? Not sure.

But the part I'm really confused about is where the transition piece meets the linoleum. I was expecting that a transition piece would fit slightly over the edge of the linoleum hiding the linoleum edge on one end and butting up against the hardwood on the other edge, but the guy in the store said that one wouldn't use that type of transition between my hardwood and linoleum.

Do I have the right transition piece? If I do, what is the best way to install it.

Thanks for your time.

Name:  f1.jpg
Views: 1266
Size:  62.7 KB

Name:  f2.jpg
Views: 1262
Size:  139.1 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 03-07-19 at 07:52 AM. Reason: resized pictures
Sponsored Links
Old 03-06-19, 08:19 PM
Group Moderator
Received 675 Votes on 624 Posts
That piece will work... but you will have to move it 1/2" to the right so that it sits right on top of the vinyl. If you rip it on a table saw and cut about 3/8" off of the groove side, the piece will be about the same height as the hardwood.

Old 03-06-19, 08:28 PM
U
XSleeper-

I'm still a little confused. Bear with me : )

If I put the transition so it sits on top of the vinyl, then it won't be sitting on the subfloor anymore, right?

My other concern is that I am not a skilled carpenter. My cuts are going to have to be perfect as they hit that transition piece, which concerns me a bit. I was hoping there was some sort of transition piece that would cover the edge of the linoleum and the hardwood, accounting for the difference in height between the linoleum and the hardwood AND imperfect mitering!

Old 03-06-19, 08:32 PM
Group Moderator
Slide everything 1/2" to the right so it sits on the vinyl and take another pic.

The whole idea with transitions is that they be as close to flush as possible. You will likely want to put the transition down first... and start all your flooring tight against the transition and work in a stairstepped pattern away from the transition. Once you find the angle, every cut on your miter saw will be the same... not that tricky.

Old 03-06-19, 08:44 PM
U
slid 1/2" to the right

slid everything 1/2" to right.......NOTE I cut the tip off on the narrow end from when I took the first pictures above "playing" with the height of the skinny part. The rest of my transition piece has the sharp end still on it.

Name:  f3.jpg
Views: 513
Size:  55.5 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 03-07-19 at 07:58 AM. Reason: resized picture
Old 03-06-19, 08:52 PM
Group Moderator
Ok... couldn't see the vinyl was on 1/4" underlayment before. (On my phone) If you want to use that piece... I would cut about 1/4" off the left side so that it's closer to the height of your 3/4 flooring. Then cut about 3/4" off the right... and round that right side over slightly with your sander so that it's not a sharp edge.

Then you need to run it through the table saw and cut a rabbet on the bottom right side... a notch so that it will sit over the vinyl and still make contact with the floor.

Old 03-06-19, 08:59 PM
U
Yikes, OK. I get that.

Isn't there an easier solution? Something that would cover both edges?

Also I've already stair stepped towards this transition : ( I figured I would lay the floor then "drop in" the transition piece after I stained it and just glue it down with construction adhesive.

Old 03-06-19, 09:03 PM
Group Moderator
That's not a great plan but you can work with it. You will need to screw down a temporary board in place of the transition (same with as the transition will be) and then fit all your flooring tight to that temporary board. You can get a nice fit with each board if you take your time. Then once all the flooring is in, remove the cleat and install the thteshold. You can use a little glue but You will want to face nail it with a finish nailer.

Pretty sure you can do it or you wouldn't be attempting this project in the first place.

Just make sure your cleat is as straight as an arrow. Use a 78" level as a straight edge to make sure you are getting it straight. You don't want the angle to change as you go!

Old 03-06-19, 09:10 PM
U
I won't be doing that now- dropping in the transition piece later. I'll cut the transition per your instructions, then put the transition piece in first. I only have 2 rows stair-stepped toward the transition so I'll stop that, cut those two rows up against that transition, then stair step the other way for the remaining rows. Hopefully that will work.

I do appreciate your help.

Old 03-06-19, 09:18 PM
Group Moderator
Now that sounds like a plan.

When you grow up to be a carpenter you could also router a new groove in that transition (after you rip it down).... router a groove in each of your angled end cuts as you make them... and then glue a spline into the transition. That way each piece you start at the transition would still fit together tongue and groove on the ends.

I'm sure you will do fine, sounds like you've got a handle on it.

Old 03-06-19, 09:22 PM
U
I'll never grow up to be a carpenter! Finish carpentry is just a skill I can't seem to master. All I have to say is, thank God for paint and putty : )

Old 03-06-19, 09:24 PM
Group Moderator
Ha ha, keep at it. Practice makes perfect. The trick is patience. Speed comes in 2nd.... or 3rd.

Old 03-07-19, 01:49 AM
Received 370 Votes on 345 Posts
Isn't there an easier solution? Something that would cover both edges?
You bet!!

You need what is called a "multifunction reducer", they have one on the link below about half way down.

The piece you have is too thin on the linoleum side, it you try to put a groove in it it will be paper thin.

Alternative would be to use a 1x piece of oak and with a table saw just rip one to fit and finish, pretty simple!

Typ you would put a groove on the end of the floor boards for a spline to hold it all together, face nailed down to the floor!

https://www.miragefloors.com/ENG/har...ring/moldings/

Old 03-07-19, 05:46 AM
U
I see the multifunction reducers, but I'm not getting how they would interact with the linoleum floor. The height of the linoleum off the subfloor is maybe 1/8". The height of the multifunction right below the grey "multifunction" divisor on the webpage is 3/8"?

Old 03-07-19, 06:39 AM
Group Moderator
That is essentially what we talked about and that you will be making out of the piece you already have. But you will custom fit the notch to your vinyl height.

Old 03-07-19, 08:14 AM
Received 370 Votes on 345 Posts
The height of the multifunction right below the grey "multifunction" divisor on the webpage is 3/8"?
It's just one example, there are sooo many pieces out there you just need to do some searching.

Trust me, they make transitions for every conceivable heights, you are not the first to come across this situation!

Or, as mentioned, get that saw out and make what is needed! That's half the fun of installing wood floors!

Old 03-07-19, 07:22 PM
U
Marq1-

Thanks for that info. I'm going to be running across a second threshold in a few days so I'm going to do a little more vigorous search for pieces as you mention

XSleeper-

I did end up making my own piece as you said to do. I ruined one threshold piece in the process but I figured out how to make it and notch it for the linoleum on the table saw. I just have to go back to the flooring store and buy a couple more and try again : )