Menards engineered hardwood issue

Old 05-14-19, 06:26 PM
Menards engineered hardwood issue

I have done 2 floors before and i wanted in my new house to do engineered hardwood on the first floor. I purchased a product from menards made by great lakes flooring company. its a hickory provincial.

im 3/4 through the living room headed toward the dining room and I'm noticing a bad trend. a lot of boards are just bowed to bad to use correctly. Being bowed like that the tongue section won't stay in the groove section, wants to pop out.
I tried to take a photo but you can't see it well.

I did properly acclimate the product to the room over 15 days.

the straight boards go together just fine.
am i missing something? is half the box being bowed normal? if so how do pro installers use it?

thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-14-19, 06:55 PM
Group Moderator
It depends how bowed it is and what type of installation you are doing. (Glue down, floating, staple down). Generally for staple down floors you just need to learn or have a knack for putting bowed pieces together... where to place your feet as you tap the pieces together with a scrap. It's quite likely that many of your bowed pieces can be straightened with a little force and that they will stay down once stapled. Put one foot on each end and tap it together... or stand in the middle if it's curled up on the ends.

The problem is that you don't want this to create an installation problem down the road. If they are TOO bowed, I would set them aside to return them. Great Lakes warranty states in part:

If, before installation, you discover any flooring that has obvious defects, please immediately contact the dealer from whom the flooring was purchased and replacement flooring will be provided at no cost.

So this means you should call or speak to a store manager or flooring dept manager and see what their policy on returns is.

You definitely don't want to install anything that is so bowed that your staples won't hold it down permanently. But some bow is pretty normal, yes. So don't go returning every piece that isn't straight as an arrow. That would just be plain dumb.

Old 05-15-19, 05:27 PM
Xsleeper thanks for the advice. I forgot to mention its a floating floor with the tongue and groove lock system like laminate. I took 3 boards as sample to discuss with the flooring dept manager and he said he would not use them and will swap me for new.
its very nice product just surprised how much of it is bowed. maybe i got a bad batch. the top of the board with finish is flawless, even on the bowed boards. strange.

oh well just move forward i guess. thanks.

Old 05-15-19, 05:34 PM
Group Moderator
Yeah, with a floating floor you would not have much tolerance for bowed planks if you expect the floor to lay flat. Hope they treat you right.

Old 05-15-19, 07:18 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Engineered is supposed to be more stable than solid wood. I would sight down every board you have left to see which are true straight and which are not. Click lock won't tolerate a not straight board.