Sanding floors with a drum sander

Old 05-19-19, 01:24 PM
Sanding floors with a drum sander

Hello. I want to refinish my hardwood floor. Its an engineered wood so I started with orbital sander however it was to soft for my finish, than I rented a drum sander and I am not satisfied with the results that I'm getting. It took me 3h already and I only done less than 60 sq ft (940 sq ft left). I used 80>60>36 grit paper but the 36 cut through too much wood on the very edge. I have to move back and forth at turtle speed at least 3 times to get the finish off. It's nothing as it shows on youtube. I used 3 sand papers already. Is the sander defective?

For larger views......... http://imgur.com/a/ubCumGA
Name:  fs1.jpg
Views: 41
Size:  28.2 KB

Name:  fs2.jpg
Size:  27.7 KB

Name:  fs3.jpg
Views: 37
Size:  28.9 KB

Name:  fs4.jpg
Size:  23.3 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 05-19-19 at 01:41 PM. Reason: reszized/imported pictures
Sponsored Links
Old 05-19-19, 06:36 PM
Group Moderator
Fist, SAND WITH THE GRAIN. Sanding a modern pre-finished floor will take longer depending on how much of the old finish is left. You may also go through a lot of sanding drums as they could rapidly clog. Frequently stopping and cleaning it with a wire brush can extend the life of the sandpaper.

Yes, your sand pattern doesn't look good. It should be much more even across the width of the drum. Undulations and bumps in the floor will obviously cause sanding marks but yours appear as though your not using the correct media or there is something wrong with the drum on the sander.

marksr liked this post.
Old 05-19-19, 07:42 PM
I exchanged the sander because that one must have been defective. The one that I have now is better but still does not sand evenly.

I went through the whole room with 60 grit (around 200sq ft), it took me 5h so it was a pita. Tomorrow I will do it again with 60 grit but diagonally. Than 100 grit and 120 grit. Than only 3 more rooms to go...

This is how it looks like no:
http://imgur.com/a/dF6Ids3

Will I get rid of those line with higher grit?

Old 05-20-19, 03:49 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
The coarser grits are better for removing the existing finish and leveling out the floor. Finer grits are more for removing the sanding scratches from the coarser grit. While drum sanders work well they do take a bit of a learning curve. The main thing is to keep them moving so you don't sand any dips into the floor. While there are times when it makes sense to do the initial sanding at a diagonal the rest of the sanding needs to be done with the direction of the grain. Any sanding scratches left in the wood that aren't with the direction of the grain will be unsightly when the finish is applied.