Little blips on new hardwood floors

Old 07-22-19, 03:09 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Little blips on new hardwood floors

Hi-
We had a second coat put down on our new hardwood floors today. First coat looked great but this one has little blips in some areas. This is not a waterborne product, its the smelly oil or whatever based one.

They are supposed to put the final coat on tomorrow but I am concerned that we all have these little bumps visible. Both my wife and I just want to get this done with already.

Thanks,

Name:  s1.jpg
Views: 13
Size:  42.8 KB

Name:  s2.jpg
Views: 13
Size:  42.5 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 07-24-19 at 08:27 PM. Reason: resized pictures
Sponsored Links
Old 07-23-19, 04:13 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 90 Posts
Looks like either trash in the poly or the room wasn't clean enough and dust settled into the wet poly. The floor should be sanded lightly prior to the next coat and then all the dust removed with a tack rag. If they use an old can of poly it can be strained.

Old 07-23-19, 08:30 AM
thanks. he said they are gonna buff it today or whatever and do a final coat with everything sealed up tight. god, we are never have new floors put in again. not worth all the dust and fumes and time out of our home.

Old 07-23-19, 09:06 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 90 Posts
The final 'sanding' is often referred to as buffing. While raw flooring nailed down and sanded in place gives a nicer looking job, it's often best to use prefinished hardwood if the house is lived in.

Old 07-23-19, 09:09 AM
Yea, we probably should have considered the pre finished. that is actually what we had removed. it was nice, but just a very blonde color and 15 years old and very beat up. was almost as expensive to refinish that then to just get new oak. live and learn!

Old 07-23-19, 04:29 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 5 Votes on 3 Posts
Could they be air bubbles?

Old 07-23-19, 05:07 PM
They kinda did look like air bubbles to me but not sure. They did the last coat today after buffing so I will find out tomorrow AM when I go to air it out. Everyone fingers crossed for us, just want to get out of these hotels and home already.

Old 07-24-19, 09:50 AM
I got in the house today to air it out. Friggin eyes were burning but I had my respirator on so at least i could breath.

The floors look like glass. We went with the matte jacobean finish. he explained everything up front and I think I recall him saying that the second coat would be a heavy one, then buff before the final one. guessing it was just kind of frothy with the second coat.