How is this floor finished?

Old 11-02-19, 04:40 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
How is this floor finished?

HI everyone -- hoping all the smart folks here can help me diagnose this problem.

I recenlty bought a 40 year old house which has hardwood only in the living room. I don't think the floor is original, but its definitely not new and has been installed for a number of years. I can't figure out how this floor is finished, but it is incredibly sensitive to water. Even a quick wipe with a damp cloth removes the finish and leaves a whitened and dull mark. If water is actually spilled, forget it. Every little drip or attempt to wipe something up leaves a permanent dull spot. I've lived with hardwood floors in all my homes and have never seen anything like it. I'd think the floor was completely unfinished except for the fact that it does have a sheen to it that natural wood does not. Somehow its actually more sensitive to water than raw wood. I also cannot for the life of me figure out how the prevoius owners kept the floor in such good shape, because there were no dull spots or water marks except for the ones i caused!

Any help figuring out how this is finished and how i can re-seal (other than taking out all the furniture, sanding, and putting on a few layers of poly) would be greatly appreciated. I'm just stumped at how the previous owners kept it looking good and its suddenly so sensitive.

The first pic is a little hard to make out, but you can see a dull circle where i literaly wiped up some dirt wtih a dampened cloth and then wiped dry. The other two show water stains.

Attached Images    
Old 11-03-19, 02:43 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 839 Upvotes on 736 Posts
I'm not sure why you get the water spots but wax would be about the only protectent you could apply other than fresh poly.

Old 11-03-19, 05:05 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
wax would be about the only protectant you could apply other than fresh poly
But, if it was ever waxed do not attempt to put any type of poly finish on it, there will be a disaster!

Old 11-03-19, 05:17 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I don't have any experience with waxed floors, only poly floors. Is it hard to apply (like poly)? Durability & maintenance? Is it a DIY project or no?

Also, how would i figure out if it was waxed in the past before applying poly? My gut tells me it hasn't been waxed since its so water sensitive, but is there a way to test the wood to be more confident there's no wax?

Thank you all!

Old 11-03-19, 05:21 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,914 Upvotes on 1,720 Posts
It looks like prefinished engineered flooring to me. It usually has an an aluminum oxide / acrylic urethane finish. It's quite possible that someone already waxed the floor and that's why it's turning white. One test to see if wax is present is to put a couple drops of water on the floor in an inconspicuous place... If it turns white after a minute or so that usually means the floor has been waxed.

Waxed floors usually require buffing and/or reapplication of floor wax (such as Johnsons paste wax) to restore the shine.

Old 11-03-19, 05:28 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 839 Upvotes on 736 Posts
if it was ever waxed do not attempt to put any type of poly finish on it, there will be a disaster!
Waxed hardwood can still be refinished but it does complicate the prep as the wax needs to be removed first.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: